continuity vs differentiablity

cole92

Okay well I would like to try to answer the following questions on my own, but first I just need some clarification... The questions are:

True or False?
If a function is continuous at a point, then it is differentiable at that point.
2. If a function has derivatives from both the left and the right at a point, then it is differentiable at that point.
3. If a function is differentiable at a point, then it is continuous at that point.

What I need help on, so that I can answer these, is basically knowing what the difference between the two are. Can anyone help me with an overview of what these terms are? I understand continuity, as we have been learning about limits and what not, but I'm not too sure about differentiablity, especially in regards to continuity.

Thanks in advance to any help!

Differentiability at a point implies continuity, but the converse is not true.

A function may be continuous but not differentiable at that point.

Here is a proof.

If f is differentiable at a point, \(\displaystyle x_{0}\), then it is continuous at that point.

\(\displaystyle \lim_{h\to 0}[f(x_{0}+h)-f(x_{0})]=\lim_{h\to 0}\left[\frac{f(x_{0}+h)-f(x_{0})}{h}\cdot h\right]=\lim_{h\to 0}\left[\frac{f(x_{0}+h)-f(x_{0})}{h}\right]\cdot \lim_{h\to 0}h=f'(x_{0})\cdot 0=0\)

It follows that a function can not be differentiable at a point of discontinuity.

galactus said:
Differentiability at a point implies continuity, but the converse is not true.

A function may be continuous but not differentiable at that point.

Here is a proof.

If f is differentiable at a point, \(\displaystyle x_{0}\), then it is continuous at that point.

\(\displaystyle \lim_{h\to 0}[f(x_{0}+h)-f(x_{0})]=\lim_{h\to 0}\left[\frac{f(x_{0}+h)-f(x_{0})}{h}\cdot h\right]=\lim_{h\to 0}\left[\frac{f(x_{0}+h)-f(x_{0})}{h}\right]\cdot \lim_{h\to 0}h=f'(x_{0})\cdot 0=0\)

It follows that a function can not be differentiable at a point of discontinuity.

So then my answers should be:
1. False
2. True?
3. True

Is this correct?