Convergence of sequence

MaxL0110

Hello, i need find partial sum and verify convergence of this sequence. I have idea to apply euler formula. Early i solved similiar problem but this square, i dont know. \begin{equation}
\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \cos ^{2}(n x)
\end{equation}
Help please

Hello, i need find partial sum and verify convergence of this sequence. I have idea to apply euler formula. Early i solved similiar problem but this square, i dont know. \begin{equation}
\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \cos ^{2}(n x)
\end{equation}
Help please
Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem

\begin{equation}
\begin{array}{l}
\left(\frac{e^{i x k}+e^{-i x k}}{2}\right)^{2}=\cos ^{2} k x \\
\text { I tried to apply same approach, like } \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \sin (n x)=\operatorname{Im} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} e^{i n x} \\
\text { Then used sum of geometrical progression t } \frac{1-t^{n}}{1-t} \text { . } \\
\text { But I think this method will not work here. } \\
\text { I’m stuck here. }
\end{array}
\end{equation}

[MATH][/MATH]
this power reduction identity may help …
Thank you, i tried it yesterday. I cant understand if i make split into two sums. One sum of cos function [MATH]\cos(2\cdot nx) [/MATH], second of infinite sum of [MATH]\frac{1}{2} [/MATH][MATH]\cos^2(nx) = \frac{1+\cos(2 \cdot nx)}{2}[/MATH]How to express second sum in partial sum. Sry for my english

[MATH]\begin{equation} \begin{array}{l} \text { I tried to apply same approach, like }\\ \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \sin (n x)=\operatorname{Im} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} e^{i n x} \\ \text { Then used sum of geometrical progression t } \frac{1-t^{n}}{1-t} \text { . } \\ \text { But I think this method will not work here. } \\ \text { I’m stuck here. } \end{array} \end{equation}[/MATH]
That's grand, you can do the same, using @skeeter 's hint.
We want (the partial sum) [MATH]\dfrac{1}{2}\sum_{k=1}^{n} (1+\cos(2kx))[/MATH]which is [MATH]\hspace2ex \dfrac{n}{2}+ \dfrac{1}{2} Re\left(\sum_{k=1}^{n} e^{2ikx}\right)\hspace2ex[/MATH] (*)

[MATH]\begin{align*} \sum_{k=1}^{n} e^{2ikx} & = e^{2ix} \dfrac{e^{2inx}-1}{e^{2ix}-1}\\ & =\dfrac{e^{2inx}-1}{1-e^{-2ix}} \end{align*}[/MATH]
Write them out in terms of cos and sin, make the bottom real, find the real part and then use this in (*) to find the partial sum.

You can then make a judgement about convergence.

Recall that a necessary condition for series to converge is that the nth term goes to 0. Go with that and the hints above.

Can you think of a sub-series (is that even a term?) where the terms are not going to 0, ie say always greater than say 1/2?
Can't 2pi be approximated by a decimal number??

Recall that a necessary condition for series to converge is that the nth term goes to 0. Go with that and the hints above.
I had thought that that statement refers to "infinite series" - not "partial series".