Converting yards/feet/inches - URGENT!

herheartchild

I need help with 2 problems for a test I am taking later today (in about 2 hours!) - I know it is late notice but hopefully someone is online who can help!

1.) You need a black curtain 10 feet high by 30 and a ½ feet across to cover the back of a stage. The fabric you select is 6 feet wide. You decide to sew two pieces together, allowing 2 inches for the center seam, to attain the height of the curtain. If you allow 6 inches per side to be turned under and hemmed, how many yards of fabric do you need to make the curtain?

I did 120/36 x 366/36 = 43920/1296 = 33 8/9 yards for what is NEEDED as far as the 10 x 30.5 feet.

I got that the fabric chosen is 72/36 inches or 2 yards. You use 2 pieces, which is 4 yards, but take out of that 4 inches (I am assuming it means 2 inches per side?) for the seam. This is where I am starting to get confused! I *THINK* that it means that 2 pieces are sewn parallel for the height, and that 2 inches are taken from each piece, which would be 88/36 or 2 1/9 yards. BUT you need 120/36 for the height, which is 3 1/9 yards. So you are missing a whole yard somewhere!

I am really confused and haven't even starting thinking about the whole "6 inches per side" thing, so I have no idea where to go from here - Can someone help please!

Also, this problem, which I am not sure if I got right or not...

2.) Determine the dollar amount for the cement needed for a sidewalk that is 4 inches thick, 3 feet wide, and 40 feet long. The cement is $76 per cubic yard. Calculate the problem using fractions to avoid rounding errors caused by repeating decimals.

I did 4/36 + 36/36 + 480/36 = 520/36 = 14 16/36 = 14 8/18 = 14 4/9 yards needed. Then I did $76 x 14 4/9 yards to get $1098.20. I do not know if this is right but I don't think it is!

Determine the dollar amount for the cement needed for a sidewalk that is 4 inches thick, 3 feet wide, and 40 feet long. The cement is $76 per cubic yard. Calculate the problem using fractions to avoid rounding errors caused by repeating decimals.

Your answer is not correct. Too expensive for that much concrete. Try this.

\(\displaystyle (\frac{4 in}{1}\cdot \frac{1 yd}{36 in})\cdot (\frac{3 ft}{1}\cdot \frac{1 yd}{3 ft})\cdot (\frac{40 ft}{1}\cdot \frac{1 yd}{3 ft})\cdot (\frac{76 dollars}{1 yd})= ???\)

Do the cancellation and out pops your answer.