Coordinate problem (PQRS is a rectangle [in English & Malay])

help for question (ii)
Hello. You've found the correct midpoint for segment QS.

In a rectangle, do you know that the midpoint for one diagonal is the same as for the other diagonal? In other words, point (7,5) is also the midpoint for segment PR.

Use that fact to write two equations – one equation for the x-coordinate of PR's midpoint and one equation for the y-coordinate. Solve those for x and y. :)

PS: Are you the same person as RandomGuyThatNoobOnMath?
[imath]\;[/imath]

PS: Are you t same person as RandomGuyThatNoobOnMath?
He or she is not me, but I searched for his or her username. He or she should live in Malaysia like me. Our Malaysian middle school science and mathematics will have English and Malay.

Last edited:
Hello. You've found the correct midpoint for segment QS.

In a rectangle, do you know that the midpoint for one diagonal is the same as for the other diagonal? In other words, point (7,5) is also the midpoint for segment PR.

Use that fact to write two equations – one equation for the x-coordinate of PR's midpoint and one equation for the y-coordinate. Solve those for x and y. :)

1673401411118960509664595056722.jpg
Done. Is the answer correct ?

Is the answer correct ?
Hi. Yes, your answer is correct. (If you've learned how to calculate the slope/gradient of a line, then you could use pka's hint in post#3 to confirm your result. That is, calculate the slope of SR, calculate the slope of PQ, and confirm that both slopes are the same.)

I'd like to comment on some of your notations. Were you instructed to use subscripted variables x2 and y2? That doesn't seem necessary because there's only one unknown point in the posted exercise.

Also, some of your subscripts and factors look like exponents. You've written y2, y2 and y2 as if they all mean the same thing. That's not correct. And when you'd multiplied both sides of your equations by two, you wrote the factor 2 on the right-hand sides as (7)2 and (5)2 instead of (7)(2) and (5)(2). Otherwise, your work looks good. :)
[imath]\;[/imath]

Hi. Yes, your answer is correct. (If you've learned how to calculate the slope/gradient of a line, then you could use pka's hint in post#3 to confirm your result. That is, calculate the slope of SR, calculate the slope of PQ, and confirm that both slopes are the same.)

I'd like to comment on some of your notations. Were you instructed to use subscripted variables x2 and y2? That doesn't seem necessary because there's only one unknown point in the posted exercise.

Also, some of your subscripts and factors look like exponents. You've written y2, y2 and y2 as if they all mean the same thing. That's not correct. And when you'd multiplied both sides of your equations by two, you wrote the factor 2 on the right-hand sides as (7)2 and (5)2 instead of (7)(2) and (5)(2). Otherwise, your work looks good. :)
[imath]\;[/imath]
?

He or she is not me
Are the two of you sharing the same device? When you log out, RandomGuyThatNoobOnMath immediately logs in. Then RandomGuyThatNoobOnMath logs out, and you immediately log in (back and forth). Also, you're both posting from the same IP address. ?
[imath]\;[/imath]