Correlation and Sports examples?! What can I use!

HB09

Hey everyone! So for a project I need to do a positive, negative and near zero correlation for College or High school sports. I need to find the data on my own also. The problem is I cannot figure out what to use for negative and near zero correlation. I have been stuck for hours! I need to be able to find the data for it online and provide it to my professor. Do anyone have examples of something that would work? I am also not a sports person So that is confusing enough! Thank you

Well, this really is the perfect kind of project to showcase what you know and what you've learned during the class. You're given almost unlimited freedom to pick anything sports-related that demonstrates a negative correlation and anything that demonstrates no correlation. You (should) know that a negative correlation occurs between two variables occurs when one variable increases increases and the other decreases. Symbolically speaking, such relationships are characterized by negative r values.

From what I can tell, though, the knowledge part isn't the issue here, it's the sports part, almost as if you, knowing you're not a sports person, saw the word "sports" and your brain just instantly seized up and refused to work. Which is strange to me in a way, because I typically see it the other way around. Most people get the brain freeze when they think about math and grasp the concepts so much better when they're related in less intimidating ways.

So, one way to solve this conundrum would just to be to consider what you do know about sports. Being that they permeate the culture so much, I have a hard time believing you know literally nothing about it. I'm not a particularly big sports fan either, but I've heard of some of the more famous teams and players: The Chicago Cubs, Lebron James, Shaq, etc. So just pick a random player and look up their stats page. For some reason, the first baseball player that popped into my head was Ken Griffey Jr. Here is his stats page. Comparing his yearly Runs Batted In (RBI) versus his Stolen Bases (SB) scores shows a positive correlation of r = 0.73. Can you find two that have a negative correlation? Sweet! You're done! Easy as pie!

The only potential pitfall here is you'll probably never find a true "no correlation" being two variables that have an r = 0. So you'll need to just pick an arbitrary threshold, maybe r ≤ 0.05, and use that. After all, the number of films Nicolas Cage is in technically has a positive correlation (r = 0.0931624) with the annual precipitation in Delaware, when in reality the two variables aren't connected at all.

Edit: Fixed some minor grammar mistakes and typos.

Last edited:
Football Players vs. CTE. Plenty of correlation, there.