Covariant derivatives

McGravity

I understand covariant derivatives which are given in many textbooks, but is there such a thing as a partial covariant derivative, that is the covariant derivative(s) of Z as a function of x and y?

I understand covariant derivatives which are given in many textbooks, but is there such a thing as a partial covariant derivative, that is the covariant derivative(s) of Z as a function of x and y?

Yes there is " partial covariant derivative".

Type in those terms in Google and you'll be referred to >1740 sites!

Take a look at page 207, Gravitation by Misner, Thorne and Wheeler. This book is considered a classic.

The actual function was V = r^2 cos(theta) and came in Relativity Demystified (ironic title!) by McMahon

That is a definition but I was hoping for an explanation, which isn't quite the same thing. If I can find how to covariantly differentiate V = r Cos theta that would be a great help.

That is a definition but I was hoping for an explanation, which isn't quite the same thing. If I can find how to covariantly differentiate V = r Cos theta that would be a great help.
I thought that the covariant derivative for the case of a scalar function coincides with the gradient of it, and when you generalize it to include vectors and tensors you get also the connection coefficients. Am I wrong?

I thought that the covariant derivative for the case of a scalar function coincides with the gradient of it, and when you generalize it to include vectors and tensors you get also the connection coefficients. Am I wrong?
Yes that sounds right but it's just what you would find in any textbook. My problem came from Relativity Demystified (ironic title)