Creating Rational Expressions: average cost per drink, etc

jlaw

Okay, okay .....I think I got this one right (I've thought that before and was wrong) but no...I really, really, for real think I may have, maybe got this one right (A and B). Could someone be a life saver by checking and sharing your honest input? I can handle the critique if I'm wrong, just can't handle a failing grade. :wink:

Problem: To save the environment, the Lion's Den Cafeteria sells an empty reusable 24-ounce plastic mug to students for $2.99. Using the mug, a student can get a 24 ounce soft drink for a reduced price of 69 cents.

a. Write a rational expression for which the value of the expression is the average cost per drink and n is the number of times the mug is used.

2.99 + .69n= cost per drink
n

b. If a student buys the mug and uses it only once, then what is the cost for that one drink?
2.99 + .69n = cost per drink
n

2.99 + .69 (1)

3.68 = 3.68 is the cost for one drink

c. If the regular price of a 24 ounce soft drink is 89 cents, then when does the student start saving money?
This one I do not know how to answer unless from trial and error on a calculator, which turned out to be anywhere from
599-600 or > depending on how the numbers are rounded off. How would it be evaluated without the n (number) already in it?

2.99 + .89 (600) = 0.894

The cost of a drink would equal 89 cents when a student reached their 600th drink?
Thank you much for your valuable time and much appreciated shared knowledge.

Re: Creating Rational Expressions

Hello, jlaw!

Good job on the first two . . .

The cafeteria sells an empty reusable 24-oz. plastic mug to students for $2.99.
Using the mug, a student can get a 24-oz soft drink for a reduced price of 69 cents.

c. If the regular price of a 24-oz soft drink is 89 cents, when does the student start saving money?

\(\displaystyle \text{The regular price is 0.89 per serving.}\)
\(\displaystyle \text{With the new offer, the average price per serving is: }\frac{2.99+0.69n}{n}\)

\(\displaystyle \text{They are equal when: }\:0.89\:=\:\frac{2.99 + 0.69n}{n}\)

\(\displaystyle \text{So we have: }\;0.89n\:=\:2.99 + 0.69n \quad\Rightarrow\quad 0.2n \:=\:2.99 \quad\Rightarrow\quad n \:=\:14.95\)

Therefore, the students save money for \(\displaystyle n \,\geq\,15.\)
. . (They start saving money at their 14th refill.)

Re: Creating Rational Expressions

I'm sorry, soroban I don't understand. 89 cents per drink multiplied by 15 drinks is $13.35 for fifteen drinks plus the cost of the original cup $2.99 which is altogether 16.34 totaled. Thus, a student has spent 16.34 for 15 drinks and a mug....doesn't that equal to 1.08933 per drink so far (when divided by number of drinks purchased 15)? Am I missing something?

Sincerely,
Julia

I'm sorry, soroban I don't understand. 89 cents per drink multiplied by 15 drinks is $13.35 for fifteen drinks plus the cost of the original cup $2.99 which is altogether 16.34 totaled. Thus, a student has spent 16.34 for 15 drinks and a mug....doesn't that equal to 1.08933 per drink so far (when divided by number of drinks purchased 15)? Am I missing something?

Hi, Julia,

You’re mixing up the costs of the drink with and without the mug. Perhaps this will help:

Student with mug:

$2.99 + .69(15) = $13.34

Student without mug:

.89(15) = $13.35

So, for 15 drinks, the student with the mug spends less money.

Thank you Wjm11 for clearing that up! :D It seems that the problem is left up to the reader's interpretation. That being the case I will certainly include all possible solutions that were presented here. Thanks so much, sincerely, everyone for your expertise!

Grateful,
Julia

Please study Soroban's method and steps very carefully. That is exactly what you need to understand and be able to repeat. :)