Critical Numbers / Shelf / Cusp

Math007

Hello,

I have a table of values and am asked to find between what values does the function have critical numbers. I will give a small portion of the table to use as an example:

x | - 3 - 2 - 1 0 1 2
f(x)| - 20 - 4 5 1 -1 5

Now if you graph this function, you will see that there is a local max at -1 and a local min at 1.

My question is whether I got the correct answer and if there is another alternative to doing it rather than graphing it. Also would -3 and 2 be critical numbers because they are ther absolute max and min?

Finally, I have a question about shelfs and cusps. When do they occur on a graph? I think that shelfs occur when the sign of f'(x) goes + 0 + or - 0 - or alternatively the graph of f'(x) goes towards the x axis and touches it and then comes back down without crossing it. Also, I think that cusps occur at values of f'(x) that are undefined. But i am really not sure.

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate this great service you guys offer!
Math007

“Now if you graph this function, you will see that there is a local max at -1 and a local min at 1.”
First, we do not know that a local max is at exactly –1. However we do know that between –1 and 0 there is a critical point. The same is true for 1.
The way to do this is to note the intervals of increase and decrease.

Thanks for correcting that error. I guess it's impossible to know where it exactly occurs unless you know the function and differentiate it and set it to zero. Also would the two endpoints that are both a global max and min be considered critical points?

Thanks
Math007

Math007 said:
would the two endpoints that are both a global max and min be considered critical point?
There is no way to know about global properties from the data.

Hello,

Thanks for the help. Could you also help clarify something for me. If say you have a parabola, would the vertex be called the absolute min/max (whchever it is) or would it be a local max. Would it be incorrect to call the vertext a local max/min?

Thanks

for a parabola, the vertex will be the location of an absolute extremum.

all absolute extrema are local extrema, but not all local extrema are absolute.

I have an equation: x^4/4 - 7x^3/3+8x^2-12x

I found the derivative which is (x-2)^2(x-3) and I did a sign chart:

x <=2 = negative
2<x<3 = negative
x > 3 = positive

i know that x = 3 is a local minimum (and absolute) because the sign changes from negative to positive. But I am unable to identify what x = 2 is since the sign goes negative negative and there is no change.

Help would be appreciated.
Thanks!