critical numbers with ln

trigfun

Here's the problem:

Find the critical numbers of the function.
f(x) = x^-6 ln(x)

I'm still shaky when knowing how to deal with derivatives and I'm not sure if I should use the power rule first, or use the product rule (or some version of the chain rule). My guess here is that I use the power rule first, but I wanted to see if that's the right place to start.

Thanks!

Can we see your work for f'(x)?? We can't know where you are making a mistake if you don't show your work. After 8 posts you should know this by now.

Here's the problem:

Find the critical numbers of the function.
f(x) = x^-6 ln(x)

I'm still shaky when knowing how to deal with derivatives and I'm not sure if I should use the power rule first, or use the product rule (or some version of the chain rule). My guess here is that I use the power rule first, but I wanted to see if that's the right place to start.

Thanks!
First, let's make sure we know what the problem says. As I read it, it's [MATH]x^{-6}\ln(x)[/MATH], but someone could think it was [MATH]x^{-6\ln(x)}[/MATH].

Now when I look at [MATH]x^{-6}\ln(x)[/MATH], I see a product of two factors, [MATH]x^{-6}[/MATH] and [MATH]\ln(x)[/MATH]. That implies the product rule is the first thing to focus on. (I'm basically looking for what the last operation is, that you would do when evaluating it -- that is, breaking it apart from the outside in.) Of course, within each part, you'll be applying whatever rule applies to that part.

You have two functions, x^6 and ln(x) multiplied together. If you were to calculate its value for a given value of x, you would calculate x^6 and ln(x) separately then multiply those values. Taking the derivative, you work "from the inside out". That is, use the product rule to get (x^6 ln(x))'= (x^6)' ln(x)+ x^6(ln(x))' then do the separate derivatives.

If this were (x ln(x))^6, so that both functions are to the 6th power, to evaluate for a given x, you would calculate x and ln(x), multiply, then take the 6th power. Again, to take the derivative, you would apply the power rule, then use the product rule.

(Notice that (x ln(x))^6 is the same as x^6(ln(x))^6 so that you could apply the product rule first to that but it would give the same result:
((x ln(x))^6)'= 6(x ln(x))^5(ln(x)+ 1)= 6x^5(ln(x))^6+ 6x^5(ln(x))^5

(x^6 (ln(x))^6)'= 6x^5(ln(x))^6+ 6x^6(ln(x))^5(1/x)= 6x^5(ln(x))^6+ 6x^5(ln(x))^5.

First, let's make sure we know what the problem says. As I read it, it's [MATH]x^{-6}\ln(x)[/MATH], but someone could think it was [MATH]x^{-6\ln(x)}[/MATH].

Now when I look at [MATH]x^{-6}\ln(x)[/MATH], I see a product of two factors, [MATH]x^{-6}[/MATH] and [MATH]\ln(x)[/MATH]. That implies the product rule is the first thing to focus on. (I'm basically looking for what the last operation is, that you would do when evaluating it -- that is, breaking it apart from the outside in.) Of course, within each part, you'll be applying whatever rule applies to that part.
Thank you, this was helpful!

You have two functions, x^6 and ln(x) multiplied together. If you were to calculate its value for a given value of x, you would calculate x^6 and ln(x) separately then multiply those values. Taking the derivative, you work "from the inside out". That is, use the product rule to get (x^6 ln(x))'= (x^6)' ln(x)+ x^6(ln(x))' then do the separate derivatives.

If this were (x ln(x))^6, so that both functions are to the 6th power, to evaluate for a given x, you would calculate x and ln(x), multiply, then take the 6th power. Again, to take the derivative, you would apply the power rule, then use the product rule.

(Notice that (x ln(x))^6 is the same as x^6(ln(x))^6 so that you could apply the product rule first to that but it would give the same result:
((x ln(x))^6)'= 6(x ln(x))^5(ln(x)+ 1)= 6x^5(ln(x))^6+ 6x^5(ln(x))^5

(x^6 (ln(x))^6)'= 6x^5(ln(x))^6+ 6x^6(ln(x))^5(1/x)= 6x^5(ln(x))^6+ 6x^5(ln(x))^5.
This clears things up a lot. Thank you!

Thank you, this was helpful!
I think it greatly helps to think in terms of substitutions

[MATH]u(x) = x^{-6} \text { and } v = ln(x) \implies \\ f(x) = u(x)v(x) \implies u(x)v'(x) + u'(x)v(x).[/MATH]Now figure out u'(x) and v'(x) separately.