Cubic Spline Terminology

TomF

Hi, everybody.

I was recently involved in a discussion about cubic splines and I thought I had a pretty good grasp of the concept. Then somebody asked which method a certain algorithm used in its implementation: natural splines, parabolic runout splines, or cubic runout splines. I have never heard of these methods before, and a search of mathworld and wikipedia turns up nothing. Neither does a search of the two numerical math books I have. Actually, I had thought there was only one method for doing a cubic spline algorithm, or else it couldn't be considered a cubic spline technique. Am I mistaken? Has anybody heard of these three terms in relation to a cubic spline algorithm? If so, please let me know more about them or direct me to references where I could read more about them.

Tom

General Philosphy Discussion.

Try to remember that nomenclature is not necessarily fixed. It is a bit unusual for one name or another to be 100% standardized. Your task, rather than stress out over some different terminaology, is to determine exactly what is meant by the terms you have not previously met.

Where does terminology come from? People invent it. Authors print it. Students get used to it. When two students with different backgrounds get together, the VERY FIRST thing that must be done is to agree on terminology. Though it is often the case, there is NO basis for one assuming the other simply doesn't know what he is talking about.

A few years ago, there was only Clamped and Free. Free also meant Unclamped or Natural. Somewhere along the line of time, someone wrote a Master's Thesis on a respectable variation or technique. One is free to select one's own names for such things.

So, simply ask. I'm not familiar with those names. Let's have a chat and see if we can get on the same page.