Cutter Calculations

Lamtex

Hey guys,

I am an old guy trying to come up with some sort of equation to accurately predict how a machine is going to perform. I don't remember any advanced math from school. Use it or you lose it as the saying goes.

I own a laminating company. We put plastic film on paper. The lamination film comes on rolls and we feed the sheets into the web of lamination. We have an auto cutter which cuts the sheets of laminated paper back into sheet form. I want a formula that will tell me how many feet per minute the laminator will go.

Here is what i know. The machine has a maximum speed of 100 feet per minute full out. The knife that cuts the sheets has a maximum of 285 strokes per minute. How the cutter works simply put is as the sheets go through the machine an eye reads the edge of the paper at full speed advances the sheet forward a predetermined distance stops cuts ramps back up to speed reads the other edge of the sheet advances it forward stops and cuts again. ramps back up to speed and repeats the cycle for the next sheet.

For instance i can laminate 72 business cards (3.5") per minute. With a 1" space between each card that would be 72(3.5+1)/12=27 feet per minute. I know that i can laminate 60 8.5" sheets per minute. 60(8.5+1)/12=47.5 feet per minute and 44 17" sheets per minute. 44(17+1)/12=63 feet per minute.

I am trying to create an estimating system using an excel spread sheet that will automatically adjust the production speed of the laminator determined by the limiting factor of the auto cutter. In most cases the laminator can laminate faster than the cutter can cut. The limiting factor is the autocutter.

Here is sample video of a cutter at work. Its the machine at the end making the high pitch whine and clunking noise. This one is going rather slow but you will get the idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcedsFUwoYc

Does any of this make since to anyone and can anyone help me.

Hey guys,

I am an old guy trying to come up with some sort of equation to accurately predict how a machine is going to perform. I don't remember any advanced math from school. Use it or you lose it as the saying goes.

I own a laminating company. We put plastic film on paper. The lamination film comes on rolls and we feed the sheets into the web of lamination. We have an auto cutter which cuts the sheets of laminated paper back into sheet form. I want a formula that will tell me how many feet per minute the laminator will go.

Here is what i know. The machine has a maximum speed of 100 feet per minute full out. The knife that cuts the sheets has a maximum of 285 strokes per minute. How the cutter works simply put is as the sheets go through the machine an eye reads the edge of the paper at full speed advances the sheet forward a predetermined distance stops cuts ramps back up to speed reads the other edge of the sheet advances it forward stops and cuts again. ramps back up to speed and repeats the cycle for the next sheet.

For instance i can laminate 72 business cards (3.5") per minute. With a 1" space between each card that would be 72(3.5+1)/12=27 feet per minute. I know that i can laminate 60 8.5" sheets per minute. 60(8.5+1)/12=47.5 feet per minute and 44 17" sheets per minute. 44(17+1)/12=63 feet per minute.

I am trying to create an estimating system using an excel spread sheet that will automatically adjust the production speed of the laminator determined by the limiting factor of the auto cutter. In most cases the laminator can laminate faster than the cutter can cut. The limiting factor is the autocutter.

Here is sample video of a cutter at work. Its the machine at the end making the high pitch whine and clunking noise. This one is going rather slow but you will get the idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcedsFUwoYc

Does any of this make since to anyone and can anyone help me.

In the 3 examples above, you have said

"I know I can laminate N (some number like 72 or 60 or 44) products (business cards or other sheets) per minute".

Is this N predetermined by some other factor than the cutter speed (285/minute) ? In other words, if the cutter speed is limiting factor, why that N is not equal to 285 for every product?