Cycled 70 miles at 18mph; 1st 10 miles at 16mph; what was speed during remaining 60 miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Wheatley

Hi I have a question that I need some help with please. It is a real life situation and is about a cycle event I entered in to yesterday.
The cycle Ride was over 70 miles. I completed the whole 70 miles with an average speed of 18 miles an hour. However for the first 10 miles I rode with my wife and we were only averaging 16 miles an hour. So my question is how fast was my average over the 60 miles I was not riding with my wife. It must have been faster that 18 MPH as I had to make up for the 10 miles I did riding at 16 miles an hour ? Any help would be welcome - Many Thanks

To calculate the average speed (riding alone) - you need to know the time period that you rode alone.

First calculate the time you rode together. (distance)/(speed) = time → 10/16 hrs.

Also you need to calculate the time you have taken for the whole ride (together + alone). Again, (distance)/(speed) = time → 70/18 hrs.

So you rode alone (70/18 - 10/16 = ?) hrs.

So covered (70-10=) 60 miles in that time. From that calculate your average speed alone.

Using ye olde time = distance / speed:

Total time = 70/18 = 35/9 hr.
Time with wife: 10/16 = 5/8 hr.

Time w/o wife: 35/9 - 5/8 = 235/72 hr.

Is that enough?
Hope your wife forgives you for "dumping" her :)

To calculate the average speed (riding alone) - you need to know the time period that you rode alone.

First calculate the time you rode together. (distance)/(speed) = time → 10/16 hrs.

Also you need to calculate the time you have taken for the whole ride (together + alone). Again, (distance)/(speed) = time → 70/18 hrs.

So you rode alone (70/18 - 10/16 = ?) hrs.

So covered (70-10=) 60 miles in that time. From that calculate your average speed alone.
Hi thank you giving me some pointers

To follow up on your advice I rode the 10 miles with my wife in 51 minuets - It took me 4 hours 20 minuets to do the complete course of 70 miles how do these numbers fit in to your equations please

Using ye olde time = distance / speed:

Total time = 70/18 = 35/9 hr.
Time with wife: 10/16 = 5/8 hr.

Time w/o wife: 35/9 - 5/8 = 235/72 hr.

Is that enough?
Hope your wife forgives you for "dumping" her :)

Thank you for taking time to point me in the right direction
To follow up on your advice I rode the 10 miles with my wife in 51 minuets - It took me 4 hours 20 minuets to do the complete course of 70 miles how do these numbers fit in to your equations please
Your point about dumping my wife is well made - She was getting fed up of me trying to hurry her along, which is why she suggested I go ahead so I would annoy the other riders instead :D

Thank you for taking time to point me in the right direction
Your point about dumping my wife is well made - She was getting fed up of me trying to hurry her along, which is why she suggested I go ahead so I would annoy the other riders instead :D
Hi Sorry got the total time wrong it wasn't 4 hours 20 minuets it was in fact 3 hours 55 Minutes so I think I was averaging 19.46 miles per hour doing the 60 miles on my own ?

Hi Sorry got the total time wrong it wasn't 4 hours 20 minuets it was in fact 3 hours 55 Minutes so I think I was averaging 19.46 miles per hour doing the 60 miles on my own ?

Close...I make it 19.56

3h 55m = 235m
Time = 235 - 51 = 184 minutes = 184/60 hours
60 / (184/60) = 19.5652.......

Status
Not open for further replies.