Density estimate, density of a number

Rbs

Hi,
Could someone please explain to me what a density estimate is and what a density of a number means?
I've read that there's different notions; natural density and logarithmic density, but what are their similarities.
Whats the general definition of a density. Examples are very welcome. Im undergraduate so I want more of laymans terms.

Hi,
Could someone please explain to me what a density estimate is and what a density of a number means?
I've read that there's different notions; natural density and logarithmic density, but what are their similarities.
Whats the general definition of a density. Examples are very welcome. Im undergraduate so I want more of laymans terms.
Can you please post an exact sentence (along with the reference) where you had encountered this term (density)? We would like to know the context.

Hi,
Sure. The term is used thoughout this paper: http://matwbn.icm.edu.pl/ksiazki/aa/aa35/aa3518.pdf
"On the existence of a density".

Edit: And here is another one using the term "density estimate": https://dml.cz/bitstream/handle/10338.dmlcz/133225/MathSlov_44-1994-1_8.pdf

As far as I can see, the first paper defines what it means by "density of a set", and never mentions the density of a number. Can you clarify what you are asking?

The second paper, similarly, defines what it means by "asymptotic density of a set". A density estimate would, of course, be an estimate of the density.

I see nothing about "natural density" or "logarithmic density".

After reading the first paper, I think I understand what the density of a set means in this context. I'll try to illustrate the meaning with a simple example (@Dr.Peterson please correct me if I'm wrong)...

Let the universal set, U, contain all the positive integers {1,2,3,4,5,6...}

Let set B contain all positive EVEN numbers (this is different to the set discussed in the paper, but this is simpler). So B contains {2,4,6,...}

Then the density of B is given by:-

[math] \lim_{m \to \infty}\left( \frac{1}{m}\mu\{n \leq m \mid n \in B\} \right)[/math]
If m=7, then...

[math] \frac{1}{m}\mu\{n \leq m \mid n \in B\}[/math]
=[math] \frac{1}{7}\mu\{n \leq 7 \mid n \in B\}[/math]
=[math] \frac{1}{7}\mu\{2,4,6\}[/math]
The counting function will return the number of elements in the set (I think) so...

=[math] \frac{1}{7} \times 3[/math]
=3/7 ≈ 0.429

In the limit, as m approaches infinity, you can probably see the density approaches 1/2.

--

So the density of a set (compared to the universal set) tells us what proportion of the "possible elements" are included in that set. So for the set of integers that can be divided by 5, with no remainder, the density would be 1/5.

You don't always have to consider the lower limit as 0 and the upper limit as infinity. A regional density is also possible. You might be interested in this page, the prime number theorem, that mentions the density of the primes.