Depreciation

This is the link to the video where I saw it. The video is in Spanish but you can see how he explains the formula and he has excel does the calculations for him.

It is not letting itself be posted
MEDIA=youtube]-W1Gm2nFGx4[/MEDIA

Let me know if you got the link because the video was showing as unavailable. I can watch it on my desktop though.

Last edited:
The formula for annual linear depreciation is [imath]\dfrac{a - s}{y}[/imath], where a is acquisition cost, s is expected salvage value, and y is number of years of expected useful life for items of that type. In many cases, s is assumed to be 0.

The formula for annual exponential depreciation after n years is [math]\left ( \dfrac{y - 1}{y} \right )^n * a.[/math]
Could this formula be used to solve the problem in this post?
And is it also called straight line depreciation?

I tried to post the video but it os not showing.
This is all I can do.
When you type this on the Google search box
depreciacion lineal en excel,
It will appear.

By the way, S =salvage value in the formula you posted is the same as residual value (R) in the one I posted. Same concept different names.
Your a stands for my C = cost
Your y stands for expected useful value, which in mine us n.

Last edited:
By the way, S =salvage value in the formula you posted is the same as residual value (R) in the one I posted. Same concept different names.
Your a stands for my C = cost
Your y stands for expected useful value, which in mine us n.
Variable names are arbitrary.

What is it about the parentheses
It seems you've already answered that.
the numerator part ( for lack of a better term) should be enclosed paratheses (sic)

Both numerators and denominators in algebraic ratios must be enclosed in grouping symbols, whenever either contains more than a single number. ALWAYS.

Typing C - R / n means \(\displaystyle C - \frac{R}{n}\)

Typing (C - R) / n means \(\displaystyle \frac{C - R}{n}\)

Here's another example. See Note 1.

:)

PS: The word 'numerator' is already good. There is no lack for a better term.

Oh,I loved that info about the grouping symbols and how it changed everything when not added!.Wow.

That was good. I see the need for la tex
It is imperative to write in la tex otherwise is difficult to put in grouping symbols with definitive clarity
I will start working on that. I started but put it off. Have to learn that.

I'm telling you this with conviction. I may have learned more about math talking to you during the time I have been in this forum (short amount of time) than what a regular student learn attending Middle and High school during 7 years. Lol.

I must, must say that the importance of placing grouping symbols right was something the mod mmm tried to emphasize in his little short time trying to teach me something while I was banned.

That was good. I see the need for la tex
It is imperative to write in la tex otherwise is difficult to put in grouping symbols with definitive clarity
I will start working on that. I started but put it off. Have to learn that.
Eddy

Where you are in your educational adventure, learn math rather than LaTeX. It is true that in-line is a bit more demanding in terms of grouping symbols, but LaTeX is an unbelievably fussy notation that drives me nuts. As a helper, I believe it is clearer for students so I bother with it. But it will not help you learn math.

I also agree!. Tell me about it!. But how am I gonna be able to put grouping symbols when needed, writing with regular mathematical notation?. Tricky.
But, of course, I'll follow your advice no doubt.

how am I gonna be able to put grouping symbols when needed, writing with regular mathematical notation?. Tricky.
There's a link in the forum guidelines to purplemath's four-page explanation about how to text math using a keyboard.

If you're going to teach math, then you'll be communicating with machines via keyboard (eg: graphing calculator, CAS). Most software is not coded to interpret missing or mismatched grouping symbols, so you need to force yourself to practice using grouping symbols.

Also, I find it awkward and annoying to type anything here (other than English words) when using a cell phone. Typing proper grouping symbols is not tricky at all, when using a computer. I'll show how I do it.

Obviously, there's no issue typing something like a/(b-c) directly.

If I were to enter something like this into a computer

\(\displaystyle \frac{(2x)(3x+5)}{(x-7)(2x+1)}\)

then I could type all the parentheses first and then insert the expressions. I know that I need ()() both on top and bottom. I also need parentheses around numerator and denominator.

(()())/(()())

Then I move the cursor and type the expressions, like

((2x)())/(()())

and so forth. With enough experience through practice, you will be able to type complex expressions without having to type the grouping symbols separately. You'll learn to read and type such expressions naturally.

:)