Determine Convergence/Divergence of the following series

Mampac

1620994455051.png
Hey, I stumbled upon this series which literally drives me crazy.

Obviously the Root and Ratio Tests are not applicable and lead to incomputable limits. Same goes for the Term Test (gives 0 thus inconclusive).

Remaining tests are Direct Comparison and Limit Comparison tests.

Now by Direct Comparison, i replace the cosine by either 5 or -5, doesn't matter. I get later that the function is similar to 1/n which diverges (factor out root of n, then n out of the sum of n and the root).

However, when I apply the Limit Comparison test, that is, I divide the function by 1/n, I get an undefined limit, which has to be non-zero and positive for them to both converge/diverge.

Gosh this disgusting cosine

However, when I apply the Limit Comparison test, that is, I divide the function by 1/n, I get an undefined limit, which has to be non-zero and positive for them to both converge/diverge.
Why is this a problem? The fact that the limit is undefined does not tell us anything. If the other test indicates that the series diverges, then it diverges.

Yes. That simply means that this particular test doesn't help in this particular case. You only need one test to work. You can show that it diverges, by comparison with [MATH]\tfrac{1}{n}[/MATH]
[MATH]n+\sqrt{n-1} ≤ 2n[/MATH][MATH]\therefore \frac{1}{n+\sqrt{n-1}}≥\frac{1}{2n}[/MATH]
[MATH]7+5\cos{n^2}≥2[/MATH]
[MATH]\therefore \frac{7+5\cos{n^2}}{n+\sqrt{n-1}}≥\frac{1}{n}[/MATH]
which diverges