Determining the grain by 2010

angel716

I really do not like the example that is in the book the written question is:
The math book only has one example I wish it had multiples. :?

World Grain demand. Freeport McMoRan projects that in 2010 world grain supply will be 1.8 trillion metric tons and the supply will be only 3/4 of the world grain demand.
What will world grain demand be in 2010?

angel716 said:
World Grain demand. Freeport McMoRan projects that in 2010 world grain supply will be 1.8 trillion metric tons and the supply will be only 3/4 of the world grain demand. What will world grain demand be in 2010?
The above is asking you to find the value, x, of which 1.8 is 3/4. So translate this relationship:

. . . . .1.8 is 3/4 of some value x

...into an equation:

. . . . .1.8 = (3/4)x

...and solve the linear equation. :wink:

I forgot to show the example they provide to assist with the rest of the question pertaining in this group:

Comparing populations
In the 2000 census, Georgia has 2/3 as many people as Illinois (U.S. Bureau of Census,www.census.gov). If he population of Geogia was 8 million, then what was the population of Illinois?

2/3p=8

3/2*2/3p=3/2*8

p=12

I attempted to use this formula on my question but it doesn't seem to work or help me and this is the only example.

To check the answer to any "solving" exercise, plug it back into the original problem. If it works, it's right! :wink: