difference between * and &; for example 101 * 101 and 101 & 101 ?

Ryan$

Hi guys, maybe it's not related that much to math but yeah it's related a lil.
what's the difference between * and & ? for example
101 * 101 , 101 & 101 ? thanks alot,

The * symbol is often used for multiplication simply because the x symbol (for multiplication) could be mistaken for the variable x.
The & symbol means "and".

so "and" isn't multiplication ? if so, then it's something new for me... I always say and and multiplication is the same term...

In basic probability we sometimes use the word "and" to indicate multiplication and "or" to indicate addition, but a lot of care must be taken when doing so.

So generally multiply isn't and .. I must differentiante between.. Right?

The difference between the symbols "*" and "&" depends entirely on what context we're operating in. In our usual mathematics, the asterisk () means multiplication. But in Boolean Algebra, an asterisk is sometimes used as a substitute for the logical and operator (\(\displaystyle \wedge\)), such that \(\displaystyle \text{TRUE} * \text{FALSE} = \text{TRUE} \wedge \text{FALSE} = \text{FALSE}\).

In some programming languages, such as Javascript, the ampersand (&) operator is defined as the "bitwise and" operator which "returns a 1 in each bit position for which the corresponding bits of both operands are 1s." For example, \(\displaystyle 5 \: \& \: 13 = 5\) because 5 is 0101 in binary and 13 is 1101 in binary and \(\displaystyle 0101 \: \& \: 1101 = 0101\).

In other contexts, each of these symbols may have other, alternate meanings. Some meanings are more "standard" than others, but it all depends on what the author wants them to mean.

Last edited:
Along the line of what Harry the Cat asked what is 4 and 5? AFTER you get your answer think if YOU added or multiplied.