(Differentiation) I can't understand what the question want me to do. Can anyone explain to me what should I really do?

Overuu09

Help, I can't seem to understand what the question really want me to do?
Screenshot_20201205-151905719~2.jpg
This is the only way I can think of to solve this question, i don't even know if I'm doing it right or totally wrong.
Document_2.jpg
Does the question want me to find the roots for a, or the roots for the equation itself?
And I can't understand the note that the lecturer gave to me aswell?
For reference, i attach the note that the lecturer gave to me
Screenshot_20201205-151912211.jpg
Screenshot_20201205-151920651.jpg
Idk, maybe I'm just too dumb to understand the note?

Sorry if this question is quite long, and in the wrong thread. This is my first time using this forum.

View attachment 23486
This is the only way I can think of to solve this question, i don't even know if I'm doing it right or totally wrong.
View attachment 23487
Does the question want me to find the roots for a, or the roots for the equation itself?
And I can't understand the note that the lecturer gave to me aswell?
For reference, i attach the note that the lecturer gave to me
View attachment 23488
View attachment 23489

Sorry if this question is quite long, and in the wrong thread. This is my first time using this forum.
Is the problem statement translated - from another language? As stated - I do not see any need for differentiation.

The question seems straight forward to me.

The function is a quadratic. It therefore has zero, one, or two real roots.

For what values of a will the function have no real roots?

For what values of a will the function have one real root?

For what values of a will the function have two real roots?

Like Khan the Great, the Magnificent, the Unique, I do not see that differentiation for this exercise is required although it is one way to answer the question.

I notice that my interpretation seems consistent with the notes from the lecturer.

AND THANK YOU FOR GIVING A COMPLETE PROBLEM AND SHOWING YOUR WORK

Last edited:
Is the problem statement translated - from another language? As stated - I do not see any need for differentiation.
I think so, because my lecturer is japanese, and usually in class he just give the question straight in japanese. But since we started online class, he just give this note and question, and let us figure out by our self.

Wait, you don't even need to differentiate to solve the question?

The question seems straight forward to me.

The function is a quadratic. It therefore has zero, one, or two real roots.

Like Khan the Great, the Magnificent, the Unique, I do not see that differentiation for this exercise is required although it is one way to answer the question.

I notice that my interpretation seems consistent with the notes from the lecturer.

AND THANK YOU FOR GIVING A COMPLETE PROBLEM AND SHOWING YOUR WORK

So, we can count it simply by just using the "b² - 4ac =0, <0, >0" formula right?

And yeahh even thought i show my work there, i literally (well, not literally, but just a "little" ) copied my friend answer, and still can't comprehend as to why the answer is like that

Oh and these questions are under the topic "differentiation" . So that's why i thought that i need to do a differentiation to solve these question

Wait, you don't even need to differentiate to solve the question?
If I understand the question, you do not need to differentiate for this specific problem. There may be other problems where differentiation is required.

So, we can count it simply by just using the "b² - 4ac =0, <0, >0" formula right?
That is true for this specific problem. Again, it may not be true for later problems. The value of finding the derivatives is that will help you determine the number of roots and where they lie.

View attachment 23486
View attachment 23487
1st you are not too dumb to understand the notes. If you keep saying that you will never get as far as you can!

What you found was the vertex of the parabola which was x= a/2. It was a coincidence that f(a/2) = 0.

Ok so, i still understand about the concept of finding the roots whether it is 2 or 1 real, or complex root.
Since the root is a point at where the line touch the x-axis/or literally the x-intersection (right?)

But i still can't understand why the equation above can have like 3 state of roots (where f(a/2) < 0 has roots,= 0 no roots, etc etc)

And why did my lecturer seperate the equation into 2 (y=f(x) and y=a) in the example?
And how can the intersection between these two equation can be the answer?

But i still can't understand why the equation above can have like 3 state of roots (where f(a/2) < 0 has roots,= 0 no roots, etc etc)

And why did my lecturer seperate the equation into 2 (y=f(x) and y=a) in the example?
And how can the intersection between these two equation can be the answer?
A quadratic can NOT have 3 states of roots. A quadratic can 1 double root, 2 complex conjugate roots or 2 real roots.

You set the derivative equal to 0 and found out that x= a/2. This is called a critical point and just identifies the x value where the minimum (or maximum) occurs. It has nothing to do with zero or roots. It just happened that in your equation the minimum had a y value equal to 0. If you raised or lower the curve the minimum point would still be located at x=a/2!

Unless you show us the example we will have no idea what your professor was doing. Please post the notes and we'll explain it to you.

And how can the intersection between these two equation can be the answer? I am not sure what you are trying to say here but when two functtions intersect then that point of intersection is the same for both functions.

Ok so, i still understand about the concept of finding the roots whether it is 2 or 1 real, or complex root.
Since the root is a point at where the line touch the x-axis/or literally the x-intersection (right?)
Coincident will do.

Which equation? You have given us notes that deal with more than one equation.

Let's do this equation, 4x2 - 4ax + a^2.

One way:

[MATH]d = (-4a)^2 - 4(4)(a^2) = 16a^2 - 16a^2 = 0.[/MATH]
We used the discriminant. Notice that the discriminant = 0 for every real value of a.

Another way:

[MATH]f(x) = 4x^2 - 4ax + a^2 \implies f'(x) = 8x - 4a \text { and } f''(x) = 8.[/MATH]
Because the leading coefficient of the quadratic is positive, the graph of this function is concave up, right?

Now if the value of the quadratic is positive at its minimum point, then it will never touch the x-axis, right? So there will be no real root. If the value of the quadratic is negative at its minimum point, it is below the x-axis and so must cross the x-axis twice and there will be two roots. Does that make sense? And if the value of the function at its minimum point is zero, that is the only point at which it touches the x-axis, and there will be just one real root.

Is any of that obscure?

Now in principle, the number of x-intercepts may be dependent on a parameter. (We know it isn't in this case because we used the discriminant, but if we did not take the discriminant approach, we would not know this yet .)

[MATH]f'(x) = 0 \implies 8x = 4a \implies x = 0.5a.[/MATH]
So the value of x where this function is a minimum is at 0.5a. What is the value of the function at that value.

[MATH]4(0.5a)^2 - 4a(0.5a) + a^2 = 4 * 0.25a^2 - 4 * 0.5a^2 + a^2 = a^2 - 2a^2 + a^2 = 0. [/MATH]
So, the derivative approach tells us that the value of the function at its minimum point will equal zero no matter what value a is. This of course is exactly what we found using the discriminant approach.

So for what values of a will there be no real roots? Two real roots? One real root?

Now when we get to polynomials of degree higher than 4, there is nothing equivalent to the discriminant method so then we need to use the differentiation method.

Not being a mind reader, I shall not try to determine what your teacher was saying. I have enough difficulty understanding what I say myself. But I am more than willing to try to answer any questions you may have about what I have written.

So for what values of a will there be no real roots? Two real roots? One real root?

Ohhhh i think i got it already.
Since the equation have an unknown a, so we still can't know whether the equation has a 2, 1, or no real roots
A quadratic can NOT have 3 states of roots. A quadratic can 1 double root, 2 complex conjugate roots or 2 real roots.

So what the question really want is, what is the parameter/value of a in these 3 condition (no real root, 1 root, and 2 real roots).

So yeah, the question is fairly straightforward. It just me that somehow can't understand the note that the lecturer gave to me.

Unless you show us the example we will have no idea what your professor was doing. Please post the notes and we'll explain it to you.

Btw, I've already attached the note that the lecturer gave to me in my first comment on this post.

Thank you Khan, JeffM, and Jomo for taking your time to help me. I really appreciate it.

And yeah, you literally pointed out on how to solve the problem in the earlier comment already, yet i didn't even notice it.

Im dumb??

I read the notes from your professor.

The professor breaks off the constant from the quadratic. For example if you were given p(x) = 3x^2 -5x - 9 your teacher defined f(x) = 3x^2 - 5x.

Now it should be clear that if 3x^2 -5x - 9, then 3x^2 -5x = 9. So p(x) = 0 when f(x) = 9. This is why your teacher said the zeros are wherever f(x) = 3x^2 -5 and y=9 intersects.

I find it strange to present it in this way BUT your professor probably had a good reason for doing it this way. Possibly for the next topic...etc