Discrete Math: coin is flipped, die rolled; E_1 is "coin shows head", E_2 is "die..."

sita

Discrete Math: coin is flipped, die rolled; E_1 is "coin shows head", E_2 is "die..."

1. Suppose that a coin is flipped and die is rolled. Let E1 denote the event "the coin shows a head", let E2 denote the event "the die shows a 3", and let E3 denote the event "the coin shows a tail and the die shows an odd number".

(a) List the elements of \(\displaystyle E_1,\, E_2,\, E_3,\, E_1\, \cup\, E_2,\, E_2\, \cap\, E_3,\, \bar{E}_1\)

(b) Are E1 and E2 mutually exclusive?

(c) Are E1 and E3 mutually exclusive?

attachment.php

Can someone help me with this?

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited by a moderator:
1. Suppose that a coin is flipped and die is rolled. Let E1 denote the event "the coin shows a head", let E2 denote the event "the die shows a 3", and let E3 denote the event "the coin shows a tail and the die shows an odd number".

(a) List the elements of \(\displaystyle E_1,\, E_2,\, E_3,\, E_1\, \cup\, E_2,\, E_2\, \cap\, E_3,\, \bar{E}_1\)

attachment.php

What are your thoughts?

Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong.

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/announcement.php?f=33

attachment.php
View attachment 38551

If you can't do any (I did not say all!) of part a, then maybe you need to be in a lower class. With a solid background you can then even ace out this class. Please understand that this comment is in your best interest. It's better to take a course when you are ready to take it then when you are ill prepared. EVERYONE has a math course that they are NOT well prepared to take--yet!.

If you can't do any (I did not say all!) of part a, then maybe you need to be in a lower class. With a solid background you can then even ace out this class. Please understand that this comment is in your best interest. It's better to take a course when you are ready to take it then when you are ill prepared. EVERYONE has a math course that they are NOT well prepared to take--yet!.
Check my working out and tell me your opinion

Check my working out and tell me your opinion
Sorry but you have the wrong answers for E1 and for E2.

So clearly you do not know how to write out any outcome. Do not worry we will get you through this.For now please forget aboutE1, E2 etc. Can you please write out any outcome? How about another outcome. One more please.

Once you understand what an outcome looks like you will be able to answer E1 and for E2.

Hint: If you were recording the outcomes of flipping a coin and rolling a die what might you record?