Discrete Structures question

nwicole

1. how to prove this question?
    thank you so much for replying
    Draw a circle. Place 3 dots along the circumference of the circle. We want to color the sections between the dots (each section gets exactly one color) so that no dot is touched by two sections of the same color. How many colors do we need? What about if we place 4 dots around the circumference of the circle? Or 5? In general how many colors are required when you have n dots?

Have you done what you were told to do? Have you actually drawn three circles, placed 3, 4, and 5 dots on the three circles, respectively, then colored the circumferences between the dots so that you don't have the same color regions next to each other? That should be easy to do and then you can look for a pattern.

Have you done what you were told to do? Have you actually drawn three circles, placed 3, 4, and 5 dots on the three circles, respectively, then colored the circumferences between the dots so that you don't have the same color regions next to each other? That should be easy to do and then you can look for a pattern.

my professor didn't tell me directly because what I think is to use the induction but I dont get how to use a induction to prove this question...