distance

eddy2017

Elite Member
Hi, dear professors:
Today, I have been cataloguing every piece of information that I get here from my teachers. There is a lot info to classify so I know, at least, where to find it if I need it. I have come across this problem that I want to bring to you. The problem has been solved, but I want to make sure it has been solved in the right way.

A car travels 60 km in one hour. At the same rate, what distance will be covered by this car in y hour?.
Solution

d=r * t
d=60 km * 1hr
d=60 km
so, for y hours,
y * 60 km =60y km

When I read it it looked as if something was off here. I just want you to tell me what it is or if it is okay like that.
Thanking you in advance for such a valuable help,
eddy

Last edited:
[math]\dfrac{60\;km}{1\;hr}\cdot\;y\;hr[/math]
I believe you have it.

We don't mind checking your problems but you should be able to check it yourself.

Suppose you drove for 2 hours, so y=2. How far did you drive (do not use your formula)? How far does your formula say that you drove?
Suppose you drove for 3 hours, so y=3. How far did you drive (do not use your formula)? How far does your formula say that you drove?
Suppose you drove for 7 hours, so y=7. How far did you drive (do not use your formula)? How far does your formula say that you drove?
Suppose you drove for x hours, so y=x. How far did you drive (do not use your formula)? How far does your formula say that you drove?

Are you getting the same two answer each time?

Hi, dear professors:
Today, I have been cataloguing every piece of information that I get here from my teachers. There is a lot info to classify so I know, at least, where to find it if I need it. I have come across this problem that I want to bring to you. The problem has been solved, but I want to make sure it has been solved in the right way.

A car travels 60 km in one hour. At the same rate, what distance will be covered by this car in y hour?.
Solution

d=r * t
d=60 km * 1hr
d=60 km
so, for y hours,
y * 60 km =60y km

When i read it it looked as if something is off here. I just want you to tell me what it is or if it is okay like that.
thanking you in advance for such a valuable help,
eddy
It's correct. But I would use this sequence of steps, which makes it clear from the beginning where we are going.
1. What do we need to find? Distance. The relevant formula is d=rt.
2. Let's see what we have. Time is y hours. Rate is 60kmh.
3. Plugging in the given values: d = 60kmh*y h = 60y km

We don't mind checking your problems but you should be able to check it yourself.

Suppose you drove for 2 hours, so y=2. How far did you drive (do not use your formula)? How far does your formula say that you drove?
Suppose you drove for 3 hours, so y=3. How far did you drive (do not use your formula)? How far does your formula say that you drove?
Suppose you drove for 7 hours, so y=7. How far did you drive (do not use your formula)? How far does your formula say that you drove?
Suppose you drove for x hours, so y=x. How far did you drive (do not use your formula)? How far does your formula say that you drove?

Are you getting the same two answer each time?.
Yes, I am getting the same answer.

60 * 2 =120
60 * 3=180
60 * 4=240, etc
I am getting the same answer (same distance, I mean ) when I multiply the value of y * 60.

It's correct. But I would use this sequence of steps, which makes it clear from the beginning where we are going.
Thanks, I like it this way. Way clearer!.

60y km. Great.
Following the formula makes it so easy. Thanks.