Divide into random amounts

Thesilentmusician

If I wanted to take a set number and a set amount of days and divide the number by the days but not have an equal number per day how would I go about doing so? Example, 21,657÷239 days equals 90.615063 how would I make 21,657 a random amount throughout 239 days? I know I should remember how to make this work but it escapes me.

If I wanted to take a set number and a set amount of days and divide the number by the days but not have an equal number per day how would I go about doing so? Example, 21,657÷239 days equals 90.615063 how would I make 21,657 a random amount throughout 239 days? I know I should remember how to make this work but it escapes me.
It depends on what you mean by "random", and whether you are doing this one time, by hand, or perhaps want to write a program to do it. There will, of course, be many possible answers.

One way to start would be to assign 90 or 91 to each day initially (making it add up to the right total), and then "randomly" add or subtract amounts to each, such that the sum of the changes is zero.