Dividing by 0, undefined?

AvgStudent

What exactly does it mean when we say "undefined" when dividing by 0?

My attempt to answer the question is as follows:
I started with the definition of division which repeated subtraction. For example, 15/3= 5 because 15-3-3-3-3-3=0. So what is 1/0?
By the division definition, 1/0 => 1-0-0-0-....... so infinity?

The second attempt was to define division as a ratio of two numbers. r=a/b=> a=r*b. So if b=0, then a=r*0. However, r*0=0, then r can be any number, i.e. infinity?

So far, I've come up with the conclusion that it should be infinity, so why do we say "undefined"? Is there a difference?

Prior to Georg Cantor, people would say that inifinity is not a number because it does not exist in the physical world.

Most mathematicians after Cantor would agree that infinity does exist, at least as a logically consistent concept in the mind of mathematicians.

There is a version of mathematics that agrees with you that any non-zero number divided by 0 is defined and equals infinity. (One point compactification of the reals.) Furthermore, as happens with most extensions of the idea of numbers, we need a revised arithmetic.

For those who are committed to compactification, they should not say “division by zero is undefined.” Rather they should say “division of a non-zero number by zero is defined but not finite.”

HOWEVER, that means that any process requiring division by zero can have no application in the physical universe. Infinity is a mental concept that has no physical exemplification. We teach people mathematics so that they can use it for practical purposes. That means that division by zero must be avoided.

Personally, I think it makes little difference if we say “don’t divide by zero because it is not defined [in standard arithmetic]”
or “don’t divide by zero because you will get incorrect or physically meaningless results.”

Within standard arithmetic

[math]a * b = c \iff a = \dfrac{c}{b}.[/math]
If we do not exclude b = 0 from that rule, we get weirdness like

[math]5 * 0 = 0 \text { and } - 100 * 0 = 0 \implies 5 = \dfrac{0}{0} \text { and } -100 = \dfrac{0}{0} \implies 5 = -100.[/math]
If you allow division by zero, you must throw out standard arithmetic and accept practically unrealizable answers.

So the actual rule in standard arithmetic is

[math]b \ne 0 \implies \{ a = \dfrac{c}{b} \iff a * b = c\}.[/math]
EDIT: I do not think that Dr. Peterson and I have much if any real disagreement. He says you cannot define the result of division by zero as a real number. Even you agree with that. Infinity is not a real number.

[math]r \text { is a real number} \implies r \ne r + 1.\\ \infty = \infty + 1.[/math]

Last edited:
What exactly does it mean when we say "undefined" when dividing by 0?

My attempt to answer the question is as follows:
I started with the definition of division which repeated subtraction. For example, 15/3= 5 because 15-3-3-3-3-3=0. So what is 1/0?
By the division definition, 1/0 => 1-0-0-0-....... so infinity?

The second attempt was to define division as a ratio of two numbers. r=a/b=> a=r*b. So if b=0, then a=r*0. However, r*0=0, then r can be any number, i.e. infinity?

So far, I've come up with the conclusion that it should be infinity, so why do we say "undefined"? Is there a difference?
We say the division is undefined, because we can't define it -- there is no real number that works as an answer. The result of an operation on real numbers has to be a real number; infinity isn't a number, because it doesn't behave like a number.

Your statement that r can be any number is valid only if a=0; otherwise, a=r*0 means a=0, which is false. There is no number you can multiply by 0 and get a non-zero value a. (And when a=0, the fact that there are infinitely many values of r that work doesn't mean that the answer is infinity.)

In calculus, of course, we can treat infinity as a limit. That's a different thing.

@JeffM Thank you for the history, and I've realized something through your example. If I were to make the same argument for 2/0, I would also get infinity. So if 1/0=infinity and 2/0=infinity, then 1=2, which cause math to break.
@Dr.Peterson Speaking of limits (which is something I recently learned), what if I try to find the lim(x->0) of 1/x? By looking at the graph, I do see a vertical asymptote at x=0, does that mean it should be 0? But 0 contradicts what I said earlier, which is infinity.

@JeffM Thank you for the history, and I've realized something through your example. If I were to make the same argument for 2/0, I would also get infinity. So if 1/0=infinity and 2/0=infinity, then 1=2, which cause math to break.
@Dr.Peterson Speaking of limits (which is something I recently learned), what if I try to find the lim(x->0) of 1/x? By looking at the graph, I do see a vertical asymptote at x=0, does that mean it should be 0? But 0 contradicts what I said earlier, which is infinity.
How do you get limit 0 from a vertical asymptote?

How do you get limit 0 from a vertical asymptote?
My mistake, I was thinking about lim(x->infinity) instead. The limit from the left is negative infinity, while the limit from the right is positive infinity, so the two-sided limit does not exist. Is this what "undefined" means, it's "undefinable".

lim(x->0+) (1/x) = +infinity
lim(x->0-) (1/x) = -infinity
Hence lim(x->0)(1/x) DNE (does not exist).

You say that 1/0 is infinity but then -1/0 is -infinity. So dividing by 0 is not very well defined even if we allow infinity and -infinity to be real numbers. Of course, we can't allow them to be real numbers.

lim(x->0+) (1/x) = +infinity
lim(x->0-) (1/x) = -infinity
Hence lim(x->0)(1/x) DNE (does not exist).

You say that 1/0 is infinity but then -1/0 is -infinity. So dividing by 0 is not very well defined even if we allow infinity and -infinity to be real numbers. Of course, we can't allow them to be real numbers.
Thank you for confirming my thought. Discovering a lot of things that my math teachers didn't tell me ☹️

Yes, you have given a reasonable approach to the answer.
The fact that every effort at a definition leads to a contradiction is why the result of a division by zero is undefined.
r *0 = 0
There is no solution to the equation unless a=0 for all integers r.
You might now conclude that r=infinity satisfies. That's one way of stating it, but what exactly is infinity? It's not a figure! What's to stop you? We'd end up with paradoxes if we regarded it as a number. Consider what happens when we multiply an integer by infinity. Infinite plus any number is still infinity, according to popular belief. If that's the case,
infinity = infinity+1 = infinity + 2
If infinity were a number, it would mean that 1 equaled 2. That would mean, for example, that all integers are equal, and our entire number system would collapse.
Dividing 0
0 /a = 0

Any integer multiplied by zero equals a zero. When you multiply or divide any integer by zero, nothing changes.
a/ 0 is undefined

Finally, and maybe most importantly, remember:
a/ 0 is not defined
A number cannot be divided by zero!
Division by zero is a division with zero as the divisor (denominator) in mathematics. The expression has no significance in simple arithmetic since there is no number that when multiplied by 0 provides.

\(\displaystyle \frac{0}{1} × \frac{1}{0}\)

\(\displaystyle 0^{1} × 0^{-1}\)

\(\displaystyle 0^{1 - 1}\)

\(\displaystyle 0^{0}\)

\(\displaystyle \text{?}\)

?

[imath]\;[/imath]

See. I am going to say the reason very intuitively. The numerator of the fraction says what we have and the denominator says the total numbers of it. For example a pizza is cut into 4 pieces and I have 2 pieces of it. So,it can be denoted as 2/4 in fraction. But if we divide something by 0 that means the denominator is 0So,n/0 makes no sense as we cannot have something out of nothing.

Mathematically speaking,division by 0 is undefined. It can have many value. But 1/0 is also sometimes referred as infinity.

Mathematically speaking,division by 0 is undefined. It can have many value. But 1/0 is also sometimes referred as infinity.

"It can have many value [sic]."

If the numerator is non-zero, it cannot have any value, as in it is impossible.
If the numerator is zero, it cannot be assigned a particular value, because any real number would work. Please note a few of the posts above that already discuss this.

I have not seen "1/0" referred to as "infinity."

"It can have many value [sic]."

If the numerator is non-zero, it cannot have any value, as in it is impossible.
If the numerator is zero, it cannot be assigned a particular value, because any real number would work. Please note a few of the posts above that already discuss this.

I have not seen "1/0" referred to as "infinity."
It is referred as infinity. tan 90=sin 90/cos 90=1/0 which is considered as infinity. You may not have noticed but in Physics also the same is considered in the famous Theory of Relativity.

It is referred as infinity. tan 90=sin 90/cos 90=1/0 which is considered as infinity.

You mean you claim "tan(90 degrees) = sin(90 degrees)/cos(90 degrees) = 1/0, which
is considered as infinity."
At x = pi/2, there is a vertical asymptote for y = tan(x). The limit does not exist as x approaches pi/2. On the left side, the graph is going toward +oo, but on the right side,
the graph is going toward -oo.

You cannot call tan(90 degrees) "infinity." "Infinity" has the idea that you are going in
the direction of increasing, that is, +oo.

Last edited:
Yes 1/0 can be referred to as any value which would cause the entire arithmetic to crumble. So,division by 0 makes no sense

No, 1/0 cannot be referred to as any value. Therefore, 1/0 makes no sense.

Suppose 1/0 could equal a real number, n.

Then, by rules of arithmetic, we would multiply each side by the denominator,
which is 0:

1 = 0*n

Then, you ask is there a real number which when you multiply it by 0, it can equal 1.

The answer is "no."

There are no values.

----------------‐---------------------‐

And now I must sleep after these posts.