Division Distributive Property- question: 0.0625 = 1 * (1/2)^{x/5730}

bfischer

Why does the x/5730 exponent only apply to the denominator (and not also numerator) in this algebra problem?

I'm having trouble finding this answer so I can explain this to my child.

Thanks!Screenshot_20231010_191552_Chrome.jpg

But they have applied the exponent to both: 1, raised to any power, is 1. They saw no need to state that.
I get what you're saying about 1 raised to a power is 1... but wanting to show my child how it plays out mathematically in this situation.

Or, maybe there's no good explanation other than just showing the simple proof... 1 raises to 1,2,3.... is always 1.

[imath]1^n=1[/imath] for any value of n. So
[imath]\left ( \dfrac{1}{2} \right ) ^n = \dfrac{1^n}{2^n} = \dfrac{1}{2^n}[/imath]

-Dan
I was thinking a fractional exponent had some special exception to the rule... mind playing tricks on me!

Consider \(\displaystyle 8^{4/3}\). To calculate this you need to ask yourself what times itself 3 times gives you 8. That answer is 2. Now you need to compute 24 which is 16. In the end \(\displaystyle 8^{4/3}\)=16.

Now we do the same thing with \(\displaystyle 1^{4/3}\). What times itself 3 times gives you 1--answer is 1. Now compute 14. That's 1 as well. So in the end, \(\displaystyle 1^{4/3}\) = 1.

Consider \(\displaystyle 8^{4/3}\). To calculate this you need to ask yourself what times itself 3 times gives you 8. That answer is 2. Now you need to compute 24 which is 16. In the end \(\displaystyle 8^{4/3}\)=16.

Now we do the same thing with \(\displaystyle 1^{4/3}\). What times itself 3 times gives you 1--answer is 1. Now compute 14. That's 1 as well. So in the end, \(\displaystyle 1^{4/3}\) = 1.
Thanks so much... I just connected that when showing my child. A fractional exponent to one always works out to be 1.

Much appreciated

Thanks so much... I just connected that when showing my child. A fractional exponent to one always works out to be 1.

Much appreciated
The real question to ponder is what does \(\displaystyle 1^{\sqrt{2}}\ equal? \)

The real question to ponder is what does \(\displaystyle 1^{\sqrt{2}}\ equal? \)
[cos(2* π) + i * sin(2 * π)]√2 = [ei2π]√2 = [cos(2√2* π) + i * sin(2√2 * π)]

Real 1√2 = real{cos(2* π) + i * sin(2 * π)}√2 cos(2√2* π)

[cos(2* π) + i * sin(2 * π)]√2 = [ei2π]√2 = [cos(2√2* π) + i * sin(2√2 * π)]

Real 1√2 = real{cos(2* π) + i * sin(2 * π)}√2 cos(2√2* π)
Oh boy, you're going against Dr Peterson who claims that 1 raised to any power, is 1. Watch out!;)