division: to find the answer of "3/4" is the same to say how many "4" in "3" ?

Ryan$

Hi guys, about division on math, I know what it's mean and read about it but still confused about one of its cases.
lets assume I do 4/2 then it's equal 2 ..it's fine for me! but lets assume I do 3/4 so the answer is 3/4 but it's not making sense, because to find the answer of "3/4" is the same to say how many "4" in "3" ?.... so is the answer for that question 3/4? if so .. it's like something not making sense

tkhunny

Staff member
1) Not everything is a Whole Number. Thus, how many "4 in 3" - if it MUST be a Whole Number, there must be no solution. If you allow rational numbers for answer, that's a different question.

2) If you really want to ponder the mysteries, try 0/0. How many "zero in zero"? 1? Sure. 2? Sure? 17? Sure. \(\displaystyle \sqrt{2}\)? Sure. Rather difficult to pin down.

3) And, just for fun, how about 3/0? How many "zero in 3"? Does \(\displaystyle \infty\) do it?

Have fun thinking. :)

Ryan$

I totally with you, so how should I imagine the rational?! I mean once I'm solving and I get the answer as a rational .. it makes for me no sense because I can't imagine it .. so how should I imagine the rational number to be relative to them and be kindle to them?!

tkhunny

Staff member
I totally with you, so how should I imagine the rational?! I mean once I'm solving and I get the answer as a rational .. it makes for me no sense because I can't imagine it .. so how should I imagine the rational number to be relative to them and be kindle to them?!
Cut up a pie.

HallsofIvy

Elite Member
But don't cut up a pi. That would be irrational!