Does a calculator follow pemdas on itself?

eddy2017

Elite Member
Hi, I am in doubt about a video I saw where the YouTube video poster said that a calculator will follow Pemdas or the oder of operation even if/ when operations are not entered in the correct order. That we can type it as we see it and we get the same result as if doing it with pen and paper following Pemdas as we have been taught.
I believe that while this might be true for simple equations might not be for more complicated ones
Would like to know your opinion.
Thanks
eddy
Example
3*12+4÷2
=38
If I type it in like that on the Calc it will put out the same value .

Last edited:
Hi, I am in doubt about a video I saw where the YouTube video poster said that a calculator will follow Pemdas or the oder of operation even if/ when operations are not entered in the correct order. That we can type it as we see it and we get the same result as if doing it with pen and paper following Pemdas as we have been taught.
I believe that while this might be true for simple equations might not be for more complicated ones
Would like to know your opinion.
Thanks
eddy
Example
3*12+4÷2
=38
If I type it in like that on the Calc it will put out the same value .
There are some calculators that do not follow such rules; but any calculator that is called an algebraic calculator, or the like, does.

There are some variations in the particular rules they follow. To find out, read the instructions for your particular calculator!