Does this function have vertical asymptotes? [ln(25-x^2]

Integrate

By my understanding this function very much has vertical asymptotes as ln can never equal zero.

So why does the solution manual say this function doesn't have vertical asymptote.

Vertical Asymptote.png

graph.png

By my understanding this function very much has vertical asymptotes as ln can never equal zero.

So why does the solution manual say this function doesn't have vertical asymptote.

View attachment 34729

View attachment 34730
Clearly they are wrong. That happens.

The two limits are [imath]-\infty[/imath], not 0. (And they are one-sided limits.)

I don't know what they were thinking; those certainly are not holes!

View attachment 34729

View attachment 34730
From my understanding, holes are the removable discontinuity of the function.
For example,
[math]\dfrac{(2x-3)(x+1)(x-2)}{(x+2)(x+1)}[/math]
Since the numerator and denominator contain (x+1), we can cancel them out so we have a hole at (-1,15).
On the other hand, x=-2 is a vertical asymptote.

I think you're correct to call those vertical asymptotes instead of holes.

View attachment 34729
If you think that those limits equal 0, then what is the problem? 0 is a well defined value. The graphs (based on you thinking that the limits are 0) should NOT have a hole in it. The y-value, when x= +/- 5, is 0.

Of course, as Dr Peterson pointed out, those limits do not equal 0.

Clearly they are wrong. That happens.

The two limits are [imath]-\infty[/imath], not 0. (And they are one-sided limits.)

I don't know what they were thinking; those certainly are not holes!
Feels good to find errors. Like really good.

Beer induced ramblings follow.

Vertical Asymptote.png

Fortunately, the section for the Answers to All Odd-Numbered Exercises and Tests at the back of the book gives the correct answer (Review Exercise #75)

Screenshot_20230106-023421_Adobe Acrobat.jpg