domain and range

lorisiddell

what is the domain, range, graph and symmetry for:

y=2+square root of x-1

I don't understand this.

I don't understand this.

Have you learned any method for obtaining a graph of this equation?

Your request for help is too vague. Please read the post titled "Read Before Posting" for guidelines on how to ask for help on these boards.

Cheers ~ Mark :cool:

PS: Are you taking a calculus course:confused:

what is the domain, range, graph and symmetry for:

y=2+square root of x-1

I don't understand this.

Look at your original post - you'll see that the word domain is blue and underlined.

Double click on it and it will take you to a web-page where the domain and range of a function is defined.

Read it and come back to tell us about your learning .....

Look at your original post - you'll see that the word domain is blue and underlined.

Double click on it and it will take you to a web-page where the domain and range of a function is defined.

Read it and come back to tell us about your learning .....

I have read it and understand the basics but not enough to solve. Can you tell me where to look for more examples?

\(\displaystyle y=2+\sqrt{x-1}\)

The domain is all of the values you can plug in for x that return a real value.

In other words, the domain is what you put in and the range is what comes out.

So, as for the domain, what happens if you sub in a value for x that is less than 1?.

What is the smallest value for x you can plug in and get a real number back out?.

If you graph this you get the upper half of a parabola that opens to the right.

Try solving it for x. Upon doing so, you get the form \(\displaystyle x=(y-k)^{2}+h\)

h and k are the vertex coordinates of the parabola. h will be the smallest x value for your domain and k will be the smallest y value for your range.

The line of symmetry is the horizontal line that passes through the vertex.