Electricity problem

Gus7

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone could help me solve this. I am currently trying to find out the cost of running a printer, I have not been monitoring the print use or anything I'm only trying to find an average/estimate.

So the information I have so far is for the printer, cartridge life and electricity price.

the printer uses 170 watts while printing and prints 19 pages per minute. The cartridge life is 2500 pages.

Now I'm just trying to find out what that equals to in hours of printing so I can then calculate the electricity cost. By using Kilowatts*Hours to get Kilowatt Hours then multiply that by my local electricity cost.

But the problem is I am unsure if I am doing the calculation correctly. Would 2500/19 give the total printing hours for that one cartridge?

And how would I find out how many hours it is used in a month? (2500/21?)

I am hoping someone can help me, I have included a table which I'm using in excel to calculate cost of electricity (which I found online).

1. Watts (electric usage rating of your items, 1 kilowatt is 1000 watts)170
2. Watts/1000 = kilowatts or kW0.17
3. Hours used in month (use an average)
4. Kilowatts x Hours = Kilowatt Hours or kWh
5. Electricity price (in pence per kWh - enter the cost you pay)16.75
6. kWh x pence = Cost (in pence) to run the item for 1 month
7. Divide by 100 to get to cost in £'s to run for 1 month

Thanks

Gus

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone could help me solve this. I am currently trying to find out the cost of running a printer, I have not been monitoring the print use or anything I'm only trying to find an average/estimate.

So the information I have so far is for the printer, cartridge life and electricity price.

the printer uses 170 watts while printing and prints 19 pages per minute. The cartridge life is 2500 pages.

Now I'm just trying to find out what that equals to in hours of printing so I can then calculate the electricity cost. By using Kilowatts*Hours to get Kilowatt Hours then multiply that by my local electricity cost.

But the problem is I am unsure if I am doing the calculation correctly. Would 2500/19 give the total printing hours for that one cartridge?

And how would I find out how many hours it is used in a month? (2500/21?)

I am hoping someone can help me, I have included a table which I'm using in excel to calculate cost of electricity (which I found online).

1. Watts (electric usage rating of your items, 1 kilowatt is 1000 watts)170
2. Watts/1000 = kilowatts or kW0.17
3. Hours used in month (use an average)
4. Kilowatts x Hours = Kilowatt Hours or kWh
5. Electricity price (in pence per kWh - enter the cost you pay)16.75
6. kWh x pence = Cost (in pence) to run the item for 1 month
7. Divide by 100 to get to cost in £'s to run for 1 month

Thanks

Gus

I assume you do not want to include the paper cost in this. To get an average cost we first need to decide on what our average will be based. Possibly, to make the number easier to understand we might use 'average cost to print 1000 pages'. So look at the costs (we'll use your two of electricity and ink):
-Electricity: 170 watt-minutes for 19 pages. So to print 1000 pages we have 1000/19 = 52.63 times that or 8947.37 watt-minutes. Since 1 hr is 60 minutes, 1 minute = 1/60 hrours and the cost is 8947.37/60 watt-hours. Since 1 watt = 1/1000 kilo-watt the cost is 8947.37/60/1000 kilowatt-hours or 0.149 kwh of electricity to print 1000 pages.
-Cartridge: 2700 pages per cartridge is the formula 1c=2700 pages or 1/2.7 c = 1000 pages or 0.370 cartridges per 1000 pages.

Assume your electricity costs £0.100 per kwh and the cartridge costs £20.00 then cost would be £0.0149 for electricity and £7.4071 for the cartridge for a total of £7.42 per 1000 sheets.

Now you see why printers are discounted so much sometimes. The printer manufacturers just want to sell you the printer so that you buy the ink which is a much bigger profit item.

And it has a huge profit margin - similar to that of of perfumes....