Email Marketing Ratios

taff

I'm sending out a bi-monthly email newsletter that contains different types of article. What I'm trying to calculate is a useful metric for understanding which articles are the most popular, but I need to factor in that they don't appear in equal number, i.e. not every email has the same number of each article type.

I have access to all the data I need, such as number of clicks, number of instances of each article type per email etc. but I'm just struggling with what the calculation should be!

Any help much appreciated.

To determine which type was most popular on a particular day (average # of click per article of the type) I would:
1. get total number of clicks for each type
2. divide by the number of the articles of that type.
3. sort types by the resulting metric.

Thanks for your response, that's helpful.

Do you think if I factored in the total number of email opens I could somehow turn this into a percentage showing something like - of the total number of potential clicks for article type 'x', the percentage of actual clicks were... ?

What would your flow look like for that do you think? I'm trying to put this into an Excel doc to work out the sum basically

You can calculate this percentage, but I am not sure how to combine it with the first metric. Look into web/email analytics.