English Cake with Foreign Ingredients

• Thread starter Deleted member 4993
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4993

Hi Redmoon. I'm guessing that you meant to type 3 and 11/56.

Yes, [imath]3\frac{11}{56}[/imath] is the correct answer, and your work is good.

Here's a way to check your result. Google each of the following (or use a calculator with built-in grouping symbols) and compare the decimal results.

(5+4/7) – (2+3/8)

3+11/56

Cheers ?

[imath]\;[/imath]
In my opinion, check of work would be:

(3+11/56) + (2+3/8)

= (3+2) + (11/56 + 3/8)

= (5) + [11/56 + (3*7)/56]

= 5 + (32/56)

= 5 + 4/7 [checks]

Now where is my piece of cake ???

In my opinion, check of work would be:

(3+11/56) + (2+3/8)

= (3+2) + (11/56 + 3/8)

= (5) + [11/56 + (3*7)/56]

= 5 + (32/56)

= 5 + 4/7 [checks]

Now where is my piece of cake ???
As a Super Moderator you of all people should know that we are not allowed to accept any gifts.

Your arithmetic is fine (it has already been pointed out that a 'mixed number' is a whole number plus a common fraction, hence the final answer is [imath]3\frac{11}{56}[/imath]); it's just your English that's bad!
It should be "have I gone wrong" never "have I went wrong"!
(I'm sorry but confusing the past tense with the past participle really irks me! ???
Even in a Maths Forum.)
Now you are going to complain about those "missing articles" in my sentences. Instead of dropping 'u's , the Americans should have dropped those "useless articles" and that would have saved paper/ink/electrons and headaches for Indians (I mean the true ones).

Now you are going to complain about those "missing articles" in my sentences. Instead of dropping 'u's , the Americans should have dropped those "useless articles" and that would have saved paper/ink/electrons and headaches for Indians (I mean the true ones).
Not at all! I have never even noticed any "missing articles" (neither definite nor indefinite) in your sentences.
And, to be honest, I'm not even sure what you're referring to when you talk about the "
useless articles" that the 'Americans' have retained (needlessly). The Americans are guilty of many atrocities when it comes to mangling English but that's one I haven't come across (or it just hasn't registered in my consciousness ?).

Notwithstanding that, the switching of the past tense for the past participle (& vice versa) is just one solecism that completely enrages me; unfortunately it is rampant where I live (in speech at least) so when I see it in writing I simply cannot resist taking the author to task. (I am less likely to do so if I suspect that English may not be their first language (that might get you, as a "true" Indian, 'off the hook' ?) but the OP had made several previous posts (I looked at) and I saw no signs of English not being their 'mother tongue'!

I'm not long home from the supermarket (needed milk which has just gone up by another 3%, having previously increased by 9% a few weeks ago! ? Official "figure" for 'Inflation' is 9% but the real rate is clearly closer to 12% plus!!! I digress, sorry) and the wee lassie at the till was struggling with some (simple) number work so I commented: "Ah, I'm (was) a Maths teacher, I can see you're one of those ones that was dodging our classes. ?). She agreed, laughing but then added: "No, I was more better at English." ?
???

And , to be h

Last edited: