epsilon delta proof by contradiction

chroye

I need to use the definition of continuity and limits to show:

let f : R → R be a function continuous in x = 0, with the property that if x!=0, f(x) ≥ 0. This makes f(0) ≥ 0. This part is what i need to prove I assume.
(Only supposing f is continuous at point a, not necesserily around a).

Basically I have extracted from the text: since f is cont. in x= 0, we have: lim as x approaches 0 of f(x) = f(0). This gives me: |f(x)-f(0)| < E
Furthermore i figure the easiest option is to do a proof by contradiction using epsilon delta, and even tho i know how to use epsilon-delta, i cant really figure out how to arrive at a contradiction/ how to write this up. Do i just limit delta to some arbitrary value? When i tried for delta <=1 I didn't seem to get a contradiction, at any rate i got really confused. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Let's start by being clearer about how you're starting.

What are you assuming for the sake of contradiction?

It seems that you want to prove that if f(x) > 0, the f(x)>0. I doubt that you want to show this as it is trivial.

let f : R → R be a function continuous in x = 0, with the property that if x!=0, f(x) ≥ 0. This makes f(0) ≥ 0. This part is what i need to prove I assume. (Only supposing f is continuous at point a, not necesserily around a).
If we can show that \(f(0)<0\) leads to a conduction then we know that \(f(x)\ge 0\)
Suppose that \(f(0)<0\) Now I cannot give you a detailed answer. I have just been warned by a know-nothing moderator (I have not heard yet from Ted). So here goes: let \(\delta=f(0)<0\). Clearly by continuity \(\exists t\in (-\delta,\delta)\) such that \(f(t)<0\) but that is a contradiction.

If we can show that \(f(0)<0\) leads to a conduction then we know that \(f(x)\ge 0\)
Suppose that \(f(0)<0\) Now I cannot give you a detailed answer. I have just been warned by a know-nothing moderator (I have not heard yet from Ted). So here goes: let \(\delta=f(0)<0\). Clearly by continuity \(\exists t\in (-\delta,\delta)\) such that \(f(t)<0\) but that is a contradiction.

Thanks for the reply! What have you been warned about? I think i get what you're getting at here, i'll sit down and think about it more thoroughly when i get time. Not immediately obvious to me why you set delta equal to f(0) tho, could you explain that?
In a formal proof doesn't delta have to be expressed by Epsilon or a min { } value? Also delta has to be greater than 0 right?

Last edited: