Epsilon in calculate limits...

shahar

Why we need in every limit arithmetics to note that epsilon greater than zero?

Proof that an ---> L and bn ---> K when Can * Cbn --> CLK.
C = constant.

A and b are series that converge to limit. a and b have a limits K and L, appropriately. Show that by multiplying the limits by C the will give the covergation of the limit C2KL

A and b are series that converge to limit. a and b have a limits K and L, appropriately. Show that by multiplying the limits by C the will give the covergation of the limit CKL
Don't see where the epsilon is mentioned. Please post complete text you are asking about.

Why we need in every limit arithmetics to note that epsilon greater than zero?
In the definition of limits, the epsilon is a measure of distance, a measure of closeness. Distances are all non-negative.

In the definition of limits, the epsilon is a measure of distance, a measure of closeness. Distances are all non-negative.
Why I will get a grade that has lost points if I not mention the expression: epsilon is greater than zero?

Why I will get a grade that has lost points if I not mention the expression: epsilon is greater than zero?
Unless \(\varepsilon>0\) it cannot be used as a measure of closeness.
To say \(|x-x_0|<\varepsilon\) is shorthand for \(\{x|x_0-\varepsilon<x<x_0+\varepsilon\}\).
That is, \(x's\) within an \(\varepsilon\) distance of \(x_0\). That does not work unless \(\varepsilon>0\).

Unless \(\varepsilon>0\) it cannot be used as a measure of closeness.
To say \(|x-x_0|<\varepsilon\) is shorthand for \(\{x|x_0-\varepsilon<x<x_0+\varepsilon\}\).
That is, \(x's\) within an \(\varepsilon\) distance of \(x_0\). That does not work unless \(\varepsilon>0\).
I have been for years struggling and avoiding proving things with epsilon. Later, found it is a simple thing. Most students now have the same problem.

shahar,
your topic in this thread is very important