Equation of tangent line to f(x) = tan x at point (pi/4, 1)

yeloc

Find an equation of the tangent line to the graph of f (x)= tan x at the point (?/4, 1).

I don't even know where to start on this, so could someone give me a hint as to where I begin?

Re: Equation of tangent line

yeloc said:
Find an equation of the tangent line to the graph of f (x)= tan x at the point (?/4, 1).
I don't even know where to start on this, so could someone give me a hint as to where I begin?
Really is that true?
Well, the slope is \(\displaystyle f'(x) = \sec ^2 (x)\).

Why do the derivative of f (x)= tan x?

yeloc said:
Why do the derivative of f (x)= tan x?
That is the fundamental definition of derivative.
The derivative of a function is the slope of the graph at any point, \(\displaystyle \left( {a,f(a)} \right)\).
The equation of the tangent is \(\displaystyle y = f'(a)\left( {x - a} \right) + f(a)\).

I can tell you that because you had to ask this question, you are off to a bad start in calculus. You had best really learn these basic ideas. If you don’t there is no hope. It only gets harder and more abstract.

yeloc said:
So you started off as an expert in calculus?
Oh my, no absolutely not.
But I had sense enough to know that it is essential to learn the fundamental definitions and concepts. Moreover, I was not so sure of myself as to question sound advise when it was given in good faith

I am in the PROCESS of learning this material. And I am definitely not questioning your advice; I am questioning why you would belittle someone for not understanding a problem. I know that the derivative of a function is the slope of the graph at a specific point. The question I had was how to find the tangent line at a specific point.

It's not like I am asking you to work the problem out and give me the answer. I was asking for someone to guide me in the right direction of how to work the problem.

yeloc said:
I am questioning why you would belittle someone for not understanding a problem.
You have an enormous chip on you shoulders.
If you took my remarks a belittlement, then you are going to have a very unpleasant life ahead of you. I am not against you; most other people are not against you. Honest advice, even if it is negative, is not meant as a put down. If you choose to attend a good college and you do not change that attitude, then you are going have a very unpleasant experience.

I have a chip on my shoulders?

I ask a question and you tell me that I am going to have a hard time in calculus? I don't need your opinions. If you have no interest in answering my question then please quit replying because you are keeping this thread off-topic. Thanks!

The point is that I did answer your question.
The equation of the tangent is \(\displaystyle y = f'(a)\left( {x - a} \right) + f(a)\).
But you are so self-important you are blind to the answer.

Ok. I plugged ?/4 into the derivative of f (x)= tan x, and got 2. Then I used the slope intercept formula:

y-1=2(x-(?/4)). I have followed numerous examples and I worked this problem exactly like the examples were worked, but I am not getting the right answer. The answer given is 4x-4y=?-4

For some reason, I am not following your equation.

\(\displaystyle y \, = \, f'(a)\cdot (x - a) \, + \, f(a)\)

\(\displaystyle a = \frac{\pi}{4}\)

\(\displaystyle f'(a) = 2\)

\(\displaystyle f(a) \, = \, 1\)

\(\displaystyle y \, = \, 2\cdot (x - \frac{\pi}{4}) \, + \, 1\)

\(\displaystyle 2y \, - \, 2 \, = \, 4x \, - \, \pi\)

\(\displaystyle 2y \, - \, 4x \, = \, 2 \, - \, \pi\)

The answer in the book is apparently incorrect.