Equation with one variable but two outcomes

Swisspick

Hello everyone

I stumbled upon this equation and could solve it by guessing X, however i would like to solve it without guessing.
How do I go about that?

Example:
? ¹ = { x | x ∈ ℝ and 2x ² + 3x = 2 }

Solution:
(-2; 0.5)

Hello everyone

I stumbled upon this equation and could solve it by guessing X, however i would like to solve it without guessing.
How do I go about that?

Example:
? ¹ = { x | x ∈ ℝ and 2x ² + 3x = 2 }

Solution:
(-2; 0.5)
Do you know how to solve a quadratic equation like 2x2 + 3x - 2 = 0?

Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.​
Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:​
Please share your work/thoughts about this assignment.​

Do you know how to solve a quadratic equation like 2x2 + 3x - 2 = 0?

Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.​
Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:​
Please share your work/thoughts about this assignment.​

I don't know how to solve a quadratic equation.
That's where I'm stuck at, I don't know what to do with the 2x², I mean you can root it, but then i would have to root 3x + 2 = 0 too right?
Which for me right now makes no sense...

All I have done yet was to put in possible numbers for X and then calculate the equation with my guessed numbers.

Thank you for your response and help!

I don't know how to solve a quadratic equation.
That's where I'm stuck at, I don't know what to do with the 2x², I mean you can root it, but then i would have to root 3x + 2 = 0 too right?
Which for me right now makes no sense...

All I have done yet was to put in possible numbers for X and then calculate the equation with my guessed numbers.

Thank you for your response and help!
Quadratic equations are generally taught at intermediate level algebra.

What class/course asked you to solve this problem? Intermediate algebra should be pre-req for that class.

However, you can solve this problem by graphing. Graph the function

y = 2x2 + 3x - 2

It will be a parabola.

The x-intercepts of the graph are the solutions you are seeking.

Quadratic equations are generally taught at intermediate level algebra.

What class/course asked you to solve this problem? Intermediate algebra should be pre-req for that class.

However, you can solve this problem by graphing. Graph the function

y = 2x2 + 3x - 2

It will be a parabola.

The x-intercepts of the graph are the solutions you are seeking.

I'm currently studying for myself only with a math book called "Mathematics for Engineers and Scientists" (original Title in GER; Mathematik für Ingenieure und Naturwissenschaftler) which says "A Learnbook for basic studies"
I'm from a small European country so there are no "courses" here, but I thank you for your response so I can look into parabola and alike, its also in the book but some pages further behind.

I guess my basic understanding of math isn't big enough yet, so I'll just leave it aside for now look at it later on.

Big thanks and have a nice weekend :)

I would start by factoring the "2" out: \(\displaystyle 2(x^2+ (3/2)x)= 2\).
Now, "complete the square":
If you are trying to solve an equation like this you should know enough algebra to know that \(\displaystyle (x+ a)^2= (x+ a)(x+ a)= x(x+ a)+ a(x+ a)= x^2+ ax+ ax+ a^2= x^2+ 2ax+ a^2\).

Compare "\(\displaystyle x^2+ (3/2)x\)" to "\(\displaystyle x^2+ 2ax+ a^2\). It is clearly missing the "\(\displaystyle a^2\)". To "complete the square" we need to add it.

But what is "a"? Compare "(3/2)x" with "2ax". We must have 2a= 3/2 or a= 3/4. Then \(\displaystyle a^2= 9/16\). We have to add 9/16 to make this a "perfect square".

But we can't just add 9/16. That would change the value of the expression. We want to change the way it is written without changing its value. We can do that by both adding and subtracting 9/16:
\(\displaystyle 2(x^2+ (3/2)x+ 9/16- 9/16)= 2(x^2+ (3/2)x + 9/16)- 9/8= 2(x+ 3/4)^2- 9/8= 2\).

Add 9/8 to both sides: \(\displaystyle 2(x+ 3/4)^2= 2+ 9/8= 16/9+ 9/8= 25/8\).
Divide both sides by 2: \(\displaystyle (x+ 3/4)^2= 25/16\).

Take the square root of both sides: \(\displaystyle x+ 3/4= \pm 5/4\).

Finally, subtract 3/4from both sides: \(\displaystyle x= \pm 5/4- 3/4\)

Taking the "+" \(\displaystyle x= 5/4- 3/4= 2/4= 1/2\).
Taking the "-" \(\displaystyle x= -5/4- 3/4= -8/4= -2\).

The two solutions to the equation are 1/2 and -2.

Of course we have to check: If x= 1/2 then \(\displaystyle x^2= 1/4\) so that \(\displaystyle 2x^2+ 3x= 2(1/4)+ 3/2= 1/2+ 3/2= 2\). Yes, that checks.

If x= -2 then \(\displaystyle x^2= 4\) so that \(\displaystyle 2x^2+ 3x= 2(4)+ 3(-2)= 8- 6= 2\). Yes, that also checks.

The two values of x that satisfy \(\displaystyle 2x^2+ 3x= 2\) are \(\displaystyle x= \frac{1}{2}\) and \(\displaystyle x= -2\).

Last edited: