Equations with fractions

naevino

hello, I have another problem I needed help on.

Here is the problem: Solve

x + 5/4 = 3/4x

Since both of the denominators are the same, what do I do now to clear the equation of the fractions so I can combine like terms?

Thank you so much. I really appreciate it!

naevino said:

x + 5/4 = 3/4x

Since both of the denominators are the same, what do I do now to clear the equation of the fractions so I can combine like terms?

First multiply both sides by the LCM of all the denominators (in this case 4) to eliminate fraction. Then continue as before.....

Subhotosh Khan said:
naevino said:

x + 5/4 = 3/4x

First multiply both sides by the LCM of all the denominators (in this case 4) to eliminate fraction. Then continue as before.....
]

I have multiplied the fractions by 4 and I ended up with x +5+3x and my final answer is 5/2 is this correct? What am I doing wrong?

Thank you

naevino said:
I ended up with x +5+3x Where is the equals sign?

To the left of the [Submit] button is the [Preview] button. You can use the [Preview] button to proofread your posts before submitting them. 8-)

hi i have a math Question i need help on.
Can you help Me simplyfy it?

2 4/7n - 5 1/2 - 4 1/6n +9

Nikki33 said:
2 4/7n - 5 1/2 - 4 1/6n +9

I'm thinking that those are all mixed numbers, except for 9.

\(\displaystyle 2 \frac{4}{7} \cdot n \;-\; 5 \frac{1}{2} \;-\; 4 \frac{1}{6} \cdot n \;+\; 9\)

Convert all of the mixed numbers to improper fractions, and then combine like-terms.

Click here to go to lessons on fractions.

If you need more help, please use the [NEWTOPIC] button on the board's index page to start your own discussion. (You posted your question at the end of somebody else's topic.)