equations

Irma Garcia

how do i solve for the unknown?
x/3-7/8=2/5(x+15/4)
i started this problem but dont get to find a way to solve it
i got
x/3-7/8=2x/5+1.5 is this correct?

Irma, when we type mathematical expressions using a keyboard, versus using software than performs mathematical formatting, we MUST follow certain conventions. Othewise, our typing is confusing.

You are not using the conventions; therefore, your typing is confusing.

For one example, we told you that you need to type grouping symbols around denominators. You're still not doing it.

Click HERE to learn how to properly type math using a keyboard.

Cheers!

right now i am off summer break still im taking this class online but its harder because i forgot everything and this online class shows u a certain example then the problems that we have to do.

Irma Garcia said:
i forgot everything

this online class shows u a certain example then the problems that we have to do.

The following are my opinions:

Taking an on-line math class is the worst way to catch up, for a student who has struggles with math and who has forgotten everything.

People like you need human instruction in a classroom.

Does your school offer any face-to-face assistance for their on-line math students? If it does not, the school is crap.

On-line classes are only good for students who know how to teach themselves.

On-line courses will eventually share the blame for the downfall of the United States of America.

how do i solve for the unknown?
x/3-7/8=2/5(x+15/4)
i started this problem but dont get to find a way to solve it
i got
x/3-7/8=2x/5+1.5 is this correct?

Yes, this is correct, but let’s rewrite it a little and continue.

x/3-7/8=2/5(x+15/4)
(1/3)x – 7/8 = (2/5)x + 3/2

Here is a little trick for “cleaning up” the equation by eliminating (or “clearing”) the fractions. The fractions are 1/3, 7/8, 2/5, and 3/2. Look at the denominators: 3, 8, 5, 2. Find the LCM (least common multiple). It is (3)(8)(5) = 120. Multiply both sides of the equation by the LCM:

120[(1/3)x – 7/8] = 120[(2/5)x + 3/2]

Distribute and simplify:

40x – 105 = 48x + 180

We have now gotten rid of all the fractions. Next, get all your x terms on one side and all the non-x terms on the other:

-285 = 8x

Divide both sides by 8:

x = -35.625

Finally – and this is a very important step – plug “-35.625” back into the original equation to check this solution for accuracy. I’ll leave that up to you.