Expanded Form

harpazo

I have not done this in ages.

Write 327.46 in expanded form.

Solution:

300+20+7+0.40+0.06

Correct?

I have not done this in ages. Write 327.46 in expanded form.
Solution:
300+20+7+0.40+0.06
Correct?
Look at this page for what I understand to be expanded form.
\(\displaystyle 327..46=3\cdot 10^2 +2\cdot 10^1+7\cdot 10^0+4\cdot 10^{-1}+6\cdot 10^{-2}\)

What is the definition in your text/notes?

\(\displaystyle 327..46=3\cdot 10^2 +2\cdot 10^1+7\cdot 10^0+4\cdot 10^{-1}+6\cdot 10^{-2}\)

It is for my nephew in grade 6.

This form was my immediate thought as well.

I trust that you know that we have no access to your nephew's notes or textbook?

He asked for math help with one question. I'm typically good with middle school math but this expanded form is something not seen in many years.

I've seen several variations on what "expanded form" means.

Here is one that is likely relevant to your needs: https://www.splashmath.com/math-vocabulary/algebra/expanded-form

That would tell you to use fractions rather than decimals, which I think is reasonable.

I would hope your nephew would at least recognize whether what you do looks familiar to him, and perhaps say something like, "I don't think we had decimals in the answer in class."

Last edited:
Um... are you sure about that? If you double check your arithmetic, you'll find that the sum of the parts is, indeed, 327.46.

You are correct. I added 0.40 + 0.60, when it should be 0.40 + 0.06. Typo at my end.

I've seen several variations on what "expanded form" means.

Here is one that is likely relevant to your needs: https://www.splashmath.com/math-vocabulary/algebra/expanded-form

That would tell you to use fractions rather than decimals, which I think is reasonable.

I would hope your nephew would at least recognize whether what you do looks familiar to him, and perhaps say something like, "I don't think we had decimals in the answer in class."

You are right but not for grade 6 in New York State.

You are right but not for grade 6 in New York State.
Interesting. I got the impression you were saying you didn't have access to the definition being used, since you didn't answer the question about the definition (post #4). I take it you do have the textbook or notes, or some other reference to show what they say (or your nephew did tell you about it).

In any case, variation just supports my statement, and reminds us that we need to know the definition being used. It also supports my impression that details like this vary even among curricula that refer to Common Core.

I searched for NY standards and, oddly enough, found this: http://www.nysed.gov/common/nysed/files/math-revised-2017-standards-grade-5.pdf. On page 3, they seem to show three forms of "expanded form", none of which is either yours or mine. (I don't find it mentioned in the grade 6 standards, so yours may be review of grade 5 material.)

Aren't standards fun?

Interesting. I got the impression you were saying you didn't have access to the definition being used, since you didn't answer the question about the definition (post #4). I take it you do have the textbook or notes, or some other reference to show what they say (or your nephew did tell you about it).

In any case, variation just supports my statement, and reminds us that we need to know the definition being used. It also supports my impression that details like this vary even among curricula that refer to Common Core.

I searched for NY standards and, oddly enough, found this: http://www.nysed.gov/common/nysed/files/math-revised-2017-standards-grade-5.pdf. On page 3, they seem to show three forms of "expanded form", none of which is either yours or mine. (I don't find it mentioned in the grade 6 standards, so yours may be review of grade 5 material.)

Aren't standards fun?

I do not have the textbook or directions.

Here is my brother's text:

327.46 in expanded form...is it like this?

300+20+7+0.40+0.06

My brother was asking for his older son, my nephew, who started middle school.

I do not have the textbook or directions.

Here is my brother's text:

327.46 in expanded form...is it like this?

300+20+7+0.40+0.06

My brother was asking for his older son, my nephew, who started middle school.
I suppose that suggests that decimals are expected in the answer, if it was the nephew who either proposed this as an answer, or approved it.

I'm curious now, though, why you said so definitely, "not for grade 6 in New York State" if you have no evidence to point to. In any case, my impression is that the state allows a variety of forms, and the real issue is which is being used in this particular curriculum or by this particular teacher. We'll have to assume for now that something like the suggested form is appropriate.

As for 0.40, although it means the same number as 0.4 (the preferred term if you use this form), the intent of the form is to have a number of tens there, whereas 0.40 is technically a number of hundredths. It's a trivial point, but if your nephew were learning this for the first time, it could be confusing to have two terms that are both hundreths.

I suppose that suggests that decimals are expected in the answer, if it was the nephew who either proposed this as an answer, or approved it.

I'm curious now, though, why you said so definitely, "not for grade 6 in New York State" if you have no evidence to point to. In any case, my impression is that the state allows a variety of forms, and the real issue is which is being used in this particular curriculum or by this particular teacher. We'll have to assume for now that something like the suggested form is appropriate.

As for 0.40, although it means the same number as 0.4 (the preferred term if you use this form), the intent of the form is to have a number of tens there, whereas 0.40 is technically a number of hundredths. It's a trivial point, but if your nephew were learning this for the first time, it could be confusing to have two terms that are both hundreths.

My brother said my reply was correct.

0.4 = 0.40

Same decimal, same value.
There is a form that needs to be followed.
327.46 =400 - 200 + 100.1 + 27 +.36 but this is NOT in expanded form.
327.46= 300.00+27.00+.40+.06 but this is NOT in expanded form. Just because two numbers are equal to one another, like .4 and .40, does not mean they are in the same form.
Instead of just saying a helper is outright wrong why not ask them why they think what you wrote is wrong?