Explain how you would find the weight of each stacked box if you knew the weight of the bottom box. Find the weight of each box in a stack of 4 boxes

Yes, but I thought it was a geometric series so I studied about geometric series but that formula dies not apply here. So I'm confused about what to do for question b and c

Yes, but I thought it was a geometric series so I studied about geometric series but that formula dies not apply here. So I'm confused about what to do for question b and c
You ARE working with geometric series.

Please understand the DERIVATION of those formulae - it will stop you from applying those erroneously. Don't neglect to apply parentheses.

okay, here I go with what I have
the formula to add the first n terms of a geometric series is
1640899405943.png
where n is the number of terms
a1 =is the first term in the sequence
r is the ratio that is found dividing a term with the previous one

in this geometric series we have r=0.5
n=4
10→5→2,5→1,25 so the first term here is 10
a1 =10
before replacing values in the formula, is this correct
I guess the first term should be 10, right?
please, confirm before following with this.

okay, here I go with what I have
the formula to add the first n terms of a geometric series is
View attachment 30404
where n is the number of terms
a1 =is the first term in the sequence
r is the ratio that is found dividing a term with the previous one

in this geometric series we have r=05
n=4
10→5→2,5→1,25 so the first term here is 10
a1 =10
before replacing values in the formula, is this correct
How much is 'r'? and
What are you trying to FIND (calculate) ?

the ratio is found dividing the term by the number before it
5 / 10=0.5
2/5=0.5
1.25/2.5=05

this is the question : Eventually, these stacks of boxes will go onto pallets for shipping. We need to know how much each stack weighs in order to know how many stacks we can put on each pallet, but the bottom boxes do not necessarily weigh 10 pounds. In fact, we don’t know how much they weigh at all! Write and simplify an expression to find the weight of one stack of 4 boxes based on the unknown weight of the bottom box.
so I have to find how much the stack weighs
but that I can do by summing up the individual weights, right. but then it says we don't know how much they weight at all and that is how i got lost because according to calculations done to answer the question the bottom box weighed 10 and the rest half of this weight. so Ido not know if this problem is faulty or is that i am not thinking right

this is the questio: Eventually, these stacks of boxes will go onto pallets for shipping. We need to know how much each stack weighs in order to know how many stacks we can put on each pallet, but the bottom boxes do not necessarily weigh 10 pounds. In fact, we don’t know how much they weigh at all! Write and simplify an expression to find the weight of one stack of 4 boxes based on the unknown weight of the bottom box.
Go at it - but carefully......

Total weight = (1 + 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8) = 1,875 pounds

the total weight would be the maximum weight of the lower box, right?

The problem is asking the total weight of the stack of 4 boxes < or = to 100 pounds.
so,

total weight < = 100 / 1.875 = 53.33 Pounds

Total weight = (1 + 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8) = 1,875 pounds

the total weight would be the maximum weight of the lower box, right?

The problem is asking the total weight of the stack of 4 boxes < or = to 100 pounds.
so,

total weight < = 100 / 1.875 = 53.33 Pounds
That work does not make sense at all. The F

b. Eventually, these stacks of boxes will go onto pallets for shipping. We need to know how much each stack weighs in order to know how many stacks we can put on each pallet, but the bottom boxes do not necessarily weigh 10 pounds. In fact, we don’t know how much they weigh at all! Write and simplify an expression to find the weight of one stack of 4 boxes based on the unknown weight of the bottom box.
the F ???
I was writing the common 4-letter F word used in math-forum - the FIND.

okay, i am going to take a break. maybe I'll get a clear view later. I have spent the better part of the day racking my brains over this.