Explanations-Tonights homework

easilyconfuzzeled

I am trying to help my little sister with a math problem and we are stuck. It gives us 4 properties with examples and you have to explain what it is with out using numbers(as in 2+2....u can say things like..two numbers blah blah blah) or symbols(+-*/=) or symbols standing for numbers(a*b*c).
These are the properties and examples....

Commutative- a+b=b+a
a*b=b*a

Associative- (a+b)+c=a+(b+c)
(a*b)*c=a*(b*c)

Identity- a+0=a or 0+a=a
a*1=a or 1*a=a

Distributive- a*(b+c)=a*b+a*c

We figured out the commutative and this is what we got...

Commutative- When two numbers are added or multiplied, they can be put in any order.

....and from that point were stuck...this assignment has to be finished tonight so we need help soon. Thanks!

easilyconfuzzeled said:
I am trying to help my little sister with a math problem and we are stuck. It gives us 4 properties with examples and you have to explain what it is with out using numbers(as in 2+2....u can say things like..two numbers blah blah blah) or symbols(+-*/=) or symbols standing for numbers(a*b*c).
These are the properties and examples....

Commutative- a+b=b+a
a*b=b*a

Associative- (a+b)+c=a+(b+c)
(a*b)*c=a*(b*c)

Identity- a+0=a or 0+a=a
a*1=a or 1*a=a

Distributive- a*(b+c)=a*b+a*c

We figured out the commutative and this is what we got...

Commutative- When two numbers are added or multiplied, they can be put in any order.

....and from that point were stuck...this assignment has to be finished tonight so we need help soon. Thanks!

Do a google search - you'll find all these defined. For example - associative property of addition - When three or more numbers are added, the sum is the same regardless of the grouping of the addends.

Similar statement for multiplication.

Google is a wonderful tool - use it (or refer to your textbook).