exponent

gullpacha

i want to know that why nonzero number raise to the power of zero equal 1 i know how to proof it but i want to know the logically reasoning that why this happen exponent mean repeated multiplication but the power of zero meaning non times so how it can be 1 how to interpret it logically?
thank you

i want to know that why nonzero number raise to the power of zero equal 1 i know how to proof it but i want to know the logically reasoning that why this happen exponent mean repeated multiplication but the power of zero meaning non times so how it can be 1 how to interpret it logically?
Please look at this.

x^9/x^7 = x^(9-7) = x^2

On one hand, x^12/x^12 = 1 (if x is not 0). While on the other hand x^12/x^12 = x^(12-12) = x^0. So x^0 = 1 (if x is not 0).

Can we please see your proof? Why is your proof not convincing enough?

First, you probably learned some time ago that for a any number and n a positive integer "\(\displaystyle a^n\)" is defined as "a multiplied by itself n times". So \(\displaystyle a^3= a*a*a\), etc. From that we can prove two nice properties, \(\displaystyle (a^n)(a^m)= a^{n+m}\) and \(\displaystyle (a^n)^m= a^{nm}\). \(\displaystyle (a^n)(a^m)\)=(a*a*…(n times))(a*a*a...(m times)) so we are multiplying a total of m+ n "a"s together. We can think of \(\displaystyle (a^m)^n\) as an array of "a"s written as n lines, each line with m "a"s, so a total of nm "a"s.

Now, we want to define \(\displaystyle a^x\) where x is not a positive integer. We are free to define things any way we like (as long as everyone agrees to the definitions) but we would like to have those nice properties still true. That is, we want to define \(\displaystyle a^0\) so that \(\displaystyle a^{n+ 0}= (a^n)(a^0)\). But n+ 0= n so we must have \(\displaystyle a^{n+ 0}= a^n= a^na^0\). In order that this be true for all n, we must define \(\displaystyle a^0= 1\), That's the "logic"!

Yes, thank you. Going from \(\displaystyle a^n= a^na^0\) to \(\displaystyle a^0= 1\) is equivalent to dividing both sides by \(\displaystyle a^n\) which we can only do if \(\displaystyle a\ne 0\).

thank you
For people who want it to make sense to them (as opposed to a proof, which is logical reasoning but may not feel "logical"), I just restate the definition of an integer power of [MATH]a[/MATH] as "start with 1 and multiply by [MATH]a[/MATH], [MATH]n[/MATH] times". That is,

[MATH]a^n = 1\cdot a\cdots\cdot a[/MATH] where there are [MATH]n[/MATH] [MATH]a[/MATH]'s​

Then [MATH]a^2 = 1\cdot a\cdot a = a\cdot a[/MATH], [MATH]a^1 = 1\cdot a = a[/MATH], and [MATH]a^0 = 1[/MATH], not being multiplied at all.

thank you
Because someone gave you an obsolete definition of what an exponent means.