Exponential distribution

kojiT

Q. Random samples X1, X2, X3, X4 are selected from Exponential population E(1). When the minimum of them is X, which means X= min{X1, X2, X3, X4}, what is P(X >= 0.5)? (e is allowed to use)

I have learned Exponential distribution, Moment generating function, and central limit theorem. Yet, I could not solve this question. Does any one have any idea of the way to solve this question?

Q. Random samples X1, X2, X3, X4 are selected from Exponential population E(1). When the minimum of them is X, which means X= min{X1, X2, X3, X4}, what is P(X >= 0.5)? (e is allowed to use)

I have learned Exponential distribution, Moment generating function, and central limit theorem. Yet, I could not solve this question. Does any one have any idea of the way to solve this question?
Have you learned Order Statistics?

Thank you for cooperation.
I just looked up order statistics, but I do not think I learned it.

random sample average or variance might be used, but I am not sure...
_ _
E[?] = 1/?, V[?] = 1/n?^2

Thank you for cooperation.
I just looked up order statistics, but I do not think I learned it.

random sample average or variance might be used, but I am not sure...
_ _
E[?] = 1/?, V[?] = 1/n?^2
Since you don't know anything about it, we can develop intuition about how it came about. Let's do some critical thinking.
If the [imath]\text{min}(X_1,...,X_5) \ge 0.5[/imath], what does that tell you about each [imath]X_i?[/imath]

Each of them should be Xi≥0.5.
If the question is the p(0.5<= Ex(1)), the answer should be "e^(-0.5)".

I am not sure how I can incorporate minimum Xi.
Hopefully, this makes sense.

Each of them should be Xi≥0.5.
Correct. Furthermore, by assuming they are i.i.d's...
[math]\Pr(\text{min}(X_1,...,X_5) \ge 0.5) =\\ \Pr(X_1 \ge 0.5,...,X_5 \ge 0.5) \stackrel{i.i.d}{=}\\ \Pr(X_1 \ge 0.5)\times...\times\Pr(X_5 \ge 0.5) \stackrel{i.i.d}{=} \\ \Pr(X_i \ge 0.5)^5[/math]

Last edited:
Correction
p(0.5<= X)

Given each sample is independent, p can be multiplied four times, so the answer should be e^(-2).

Correct. Furthermore, by assuming they are i.i.d's...
[math]\Pr(\text{min}(X_1,...,X_5) \ge 0.5) =\\ \Pr(X_1 \ge 0.5,...,X_5 \ge 0.5) \stackrel{i.i.d}{=}\\ \Pr(X_1 \ge 0.5)\times...\times\Pr(X_5 \ge 0.5) \stackrel{i.i.d}{=} \\ \Pr(X_i \ge 0.5)^5[/math]
Thank you! I completely missed the fact that each sample is independent. So the answer should be e^(-2).

Thank you! I completely missed the fact that each sample is independent. So the answer should be e^(-2).
If [imath]X_i \sim \text{Exp}(\lambda = 1)[/imath], then [imath]\Pr(X_i \ge 0.5) = e^{\frac{-.5}{1}}[/imath]

It follows that [imath]\Pr(X_i \ge 0.5)^4 = (e^{-.5})^4=e^{-2}[/imath]

Edited

Last edited:
If [imath]X_i \sim \text{Exp}(\lambda = 1)[/imath], then [imath]\Pr(X_i \ge 0.5) = e^{\frac{-.5}{1}}.[/imath]

It follows that [imath]\Pr(X_i \ge 0.5)^5 = (e^{-.5})^5=e^{-2.5}.[/imath]
I really appreciate your cooperation, but the samples are {X1, X2, X3, X4}, so I think e^(-2) is the answer. Do I need to add 1 to it?

I really appreciate your cooperation, but the samples are {X1, X2, X3, X4}, so I think e^(-2) is the answer. Do I need to add 1 to it?
My mistake. I thought there were 5. You're correct.

PS: Don't tell anyone. They'll put me back in the corner. It's dark and hot there.

@kojiT If you're interested in the general case look into Order Statistics.
It also discusses [imath]\Pr(\text{max}\{X_1,...,X_n\} \le x)[/imath]--Similar idea.
As well as the joint distribution [imath]\Pr(\text{min}\{X_1,...,X_n\} \le x,\text{max}\{X_1,...,X_n\} \le y )[/imath].