Exponential Matrix Solutions to Dynamic System

TeaDrinkingGuy

Consider the dynamical system dX/dt=AX, where X=[x,y,z] and A is a 3x3 matrix. Using the exponential matrix method in the most appropriate manner you see fit, find the general solution in each of the following cases:

i) A=[math]\begin{vmatrix} 2 & 0 & -1 \\ 0 & 2 & 0 \\ -1 & 0& 2 \end{vmatrix}[/math]
ii) A=[math]\begin{vmatrix} 1 & 2 & -1 \\ 2 & 1 & 1 \\ -1 & 0& 2 \end{vmatrix}[/math]
Then, find the solutions to these similar adapted variations.

In case i) dX/dt = AX +[imath]\begin{vmatrix} 1 \\ t \\ t^2 \end{vmatrix}[/imath] and x(0)=2 y(0)=-1 z(0)=-4

In case ii) dX/dt = AX +[imath]\begin{vmatrix} 0 \\ 0 \\ e^t \end{vmatrix}[/imath] and x(0)=0 y(0)=0 z(0)=6

I know there is a lot here, but I would sincerely appreciate any help. I've been trying to crack this all day and I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall. Thank you in advance.

It will help tutors to see how you began part (i) or what you were thinking, before you started banging your head.

Please see the forum guidelines for more information. Thanks!

?

It will help tutors to see how you began part (i) or what you were thinking, before you started banging your head.

Please see the forum guidelines for more information. Thanks!

?
I had a crack at part i) by transforming it into a diagonal matrix, getting it in the form PDP^-1 and multiplying it out. This seems to have worked okay, but I don't think this works for the ii), or if it does, it seems to get very messy very quickly.

I just tried to edit the post, but as it was after 30 minutes it didn't let me. apologies if the post is a little sloppy, it's my first time posting on a forum like this.

Consider the dynamical system dX/dt=AX, where X=[x,y,z] and A is a 3x3 matrix. Using the exponential matrix method in the most appropriate manner you see fit, find the general solution in each of the following cases:

i) A=[math]\begin{vmatrix} 2 & 0 & -1 \\ 0 & 2 & 0 \\ -1 & 0& 2 \end{vmatrix}[/math]
Frankly, I wouldn't use matrices here. Do you see that "dX/dt= AX" is the same as
dx/dt= 2x- z
dy/dt= 2y and
dz/dt= -x+ 2z
where I have taken X= (x, y, z)?
We can immediately solve dy/dt= 2y as \(\displaystyle y(t)= Be^{2t}\).
Adding the other two equations, dx/dt+ dz/dt= d(x+z)/dt= x+ z.
Let p= x+ z to get dp/dt= p, \(\displaystyle p(t)= x(t)+ z(t)= Ae^t\).
\(\displaystyle z(t)= Ae^t- x(t)\) so that \(\displaystyle dx/dt= 2x- Ae^t+ x= 3x- Ae^t\)
The "associated homogeneous equation" is dx/dt= 3x which has solution \(\displaystyle x= Ce^{3t}\). For a solution to the entire equation try \(\displaystyle x= De^t\). Then \(\displaystyle dx/dt= De^t= 3De^t- Ae^t\) so D= 3D- A. 2D= A, = A/2. The general solution to the entire equation is \(\displaystyle x(t)= Ce^{3t}+ (A/2)e^t\). Then \(\displaystyle z(t)= Ae^t- x(t)= Ae^t- C^{3t}- (A/2)e^t= (A/2)e^t- Ce^{3t}\).

Putting all that together
\(\displaystyle X(t)= \begin{bmatrix} x(t) \\ y(t) \\ z(t) \end{bmatrix}=\)\(\displaystyle \begin{bmatrix}Ce^{3t}- (A/2)e^t \\ Be^{2t} \\(A/2)e^t- Ce^{3t}\end{bmatrix}\)
ii) A=[math]\begin{vmatrix} 1 & 2 & -1 \\ 2 & 1 & 1 \\ -1 & 0& 2 \end{vmatrix}[/math]
Then, find the solutions to these similar adapted variations.

In case i) dX/dt = AX +[imath]\begin{vmatrix} 1 \\ t \\ t^2 \end{vmatrix}[/imath] and x(0)=2 y(0)=-1 z(0)=-4

In case ii) dX/dt = AX +[imath]\begin{vmatrix} 0 \\ 0 \\ e^t \end{vmatrix}[/imath] and x(0)=0 y(0)=0 z(0)=6

I know there is a lot here, but I would sincerely appreciate any help. I've been trying to crack this all day and I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall. Thank you in advance.