Then do
(4b^4/3a^3)^3

You did go astray a few places.
(a^-2)^3 = a^-6 not a^-5
3^3 = 27 not 9
(b^-3)^3 = b^-9 not b^9

Hello, Tresa332006!

You made a few errors . . .

\(\displaystyle \L\left(\frac{4a^{^{-2}}b}{3ab^{^{-3}}}\right)^3\)
"Do" the cube first: \(\displaystyle \L\:\frac{4^{^3}\cdot(a^{^{-2}})^3\cdot b^{^3}}{3^3\cdot a^{^3}\cdot(b^{^{-3}})^3} \;=\;\frac{64\cdot a^{^{-6}}\cdot b^{^3}}{27\cdot a^{^3}\cdot b^{^{-9}}}\)

Now "move" the factors with negative exponents: \(\displaystyle \L\:\frac{64\cdot b^{^3}\cdot b^{^9}}{27\cdot a^{^3}\cdot a^{^6}}\)

Answer: \(\displaystyle \L\:\frac{64b^{^{12}}}{27a^{^9}}\)

Gene and Soroban Thank you for all the help. I started out right but go mixed up. Soroban I have one question When you move the negatives what steps did you take or did you just move top to bottom or bottom to top? I tried to figure it out but could not. Thanks again for both you all help.

Yup, when exponent is moved across the bar it's sign changes.
------------------
Gene

Hello, Tresa332006!

When you move the negatives what steps did you take
or did you just move top to bottom or bottom to top?
Yes, that's what I did . . . but there's a reason behind it.

By defintion: \(\displaystyle \L\,a^{-2}\:=\:\frac{1}{a^2}\)

So a factor in the numerator with a negative exponent
\(\displaystyle \;\;\)can be moved "downstairs". \(\displaystyle \;\)(Remember to change the sign.)

What about a negative exponent in the denominator?\(\displaystyle \L\;\frac{1}{a^{-3}}\)

This means: \(\displaystyle \L\,\frac{1}{\left(\frac{1}{a^3}\right)}\;\) . . . which is a division problem: \(\displaystyle \L\,1\,\div\frac{1}{a^3}\)

"Invert and multiply": \(\displaystyle \L\:1\,\times\,\frac{a^3}{1}\;=\;a^3\)

Therefore: \(\displaystyle \L\,\frac{1}{a^{-3}}\:=\:a^3\)

\(\displaystyle \;\;\)(A negative exponent in the denominator can be moved "upstairs".)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Here's another situation that drives people crazy: \(\displaystyle \L\,\left(\frac{a}{b}\right)^{-2}\)

After simplifying this once, you should be able to come up with your own Rule.

We have: \(\displaystyle \L\,\frac{a^{-2}}{b^{-2}}\;=\;\frac{b^2}{a^2} \;= \;\left(\frac{b}{a}\right)^2\)

Do you see it? . . . \(\displaystyle \L\,\left(\frac{a}{b}\right)^{-2}\;=\;\left(\frac{b}{a}\right)^2\)

That's right . . . A negative exponent on a fraction flips the fraction.

You guys are wonderful. You explain things so well thank you for taking taking the time t0 help me out.