Expressing Area of polygon using trigonometry

meesh_was_here

I have absolutely no idea how to do the following:

"In the diagram, ABCDEF....is a regular polygon with n sides and apothem OM. Let OD=r.

a. Express m<(angle)COM in terms of n. (I got .5n=<COM)

b. Use your answer to part (a) to express the area of the polygon in terms of n and r, using trigonometry."

So just let me know if I got part (a) right and please help to figure out what part (b) is. Thanks a bunch!

I was given it because it's one of many problems that I have to do for a project in my geometry class. I think I got it after I had posted it, but now I just want to check myself. Why? Do you know how to do it?

meesh_was_here said:
I think I got it after I had posted it, but now I just want to check myself. Why? Do you know how to do it?
So post what you think is the answer.
Let us check it.

Area of any polygon (A=1/2ap) therefore a=r cos 360/2n and p=2n x sin 360/2n area of polygon=1/2(r cos 360/2n)(2n x sin 360/2n). If you don't understand anything that I wrote just let me know, but I think I did it right, sooo, yeah.

Are you missing a factor of r in the last term?
I get \(\displaystyle \L
\quad\frac{{nr^2 }}{2}\sin \left( {\frac{{2\pi }}{n}} \right)\).

meesh_was_here said:
I have absolutely no idea how to do the following:

"In the diagram, ABCDEF....is a regular polygon with n sides and apothem OM. Let OD=r.

a. Express m<(angle)COM in terms of n. (I got .5n=<COM)

b. Use your answer to part (a) to express the area of the polygon in terms of n and r, using trigonometry."

So just let me know if I got part (a) right and please help to figure out what part (b) is. Thanks a bunch!

If you draw the radii from the center of the regular polygon O to each vertex of the n-sided polygon, you'll get "n" isosceles triangles, each with its vertex angle at O.

Since the angles about O must total 360 degrees, and you have "n" of them, then the measure of each of those central angles should be 360/n degrees.

Now, if you draw an apothem OM in one of those isosceles triangles, it will divide the vertex angle of that triangle in half, and m<COM will be (1/2)(360/n), or 180/n.

Since OD is a radius of the polygon, and OM is an apothem, OM/OD = cos (180/n).
So, OM = OD * cos (180/n)

I'll let you work on this for a while.....

Can you guys try to explain it to me in simpler terms? I really have a lot of trouble understanding all of this stuff when someones sitting right in front of me. Thanks for all of your help! This is helping me so much, really! :p

meesh_was_here said:
I really have a lot of trouble understanding all of this stuff when someones sitting right in front of me.
Well, tell that "someone" to move :roll: