External division of a line segment

bluu

Can someone please explain how External division of a line segment works? How can a point divide a segment that it isn't even a part of?
1.Given A(-10,-3) and B(5,7): Find the coordinate of point P, which divides AB in the ratio of 2:3 externally

bluu said:
Given A(-10,-3) and B(5,7): Find the coordinate of point P, which divides AB in the ratio of 2:3 externally
Well...just pretend "externally" isn't there!
Point P is on AB such that AP / PB = 2 / 3
Can you find the coordinates of P now?

no, there's a difference between internal and external. By removing "externally", you are solving for something totally different

bluu said:
no, there's a difference between internal and external. By removing "externally", you are solving for something totally different
Ok ok...FORGET that; I asked you:
Point P is on AB such that AP / PB = 2 / 3 ; A(-10,-3) and B(5,7)
Can you find the coordinates of P now?

CAN YOU?

Yo, like i said, two different things. In this case, P is not between A and B.

bluu said:
Yo, like i said, two different things.

Yo, like Denis asked, can you at least do internal division of the line segment, in ratio?

In other words, if P were to be between A and B, could you proceed?

Your request for help is vague; we have no idea what you already know. Rhetorical: how could anybody here know where to begin helping?

Some people on the Internet have already typed up explanations of external division.

A Google result on keywords: point divide segment externally. See #24 and #25

Another Google result with graphical interpretation

Another. This one's a video slideshow -- click forward to slide #17 (internal) or #43 (external)

Once you have some specific questions, we welcome your return here. Please show any work, too. 8-)