factoring imaginary numbers

I'll assume by "3x 2" you mean 3x^2.

Just subtract: -2x^2

Or you could have meant "3x + 2:"

Then, y = x^2 - 3x + 2 = (x - 2)(x - 1)

Neither case involves imaginary numbers.

ca.chick said:
i actually mean 3x - 2
There still are no complex numbers.
\(\displaystyle \L x^2 - 3x - 2 = \left[ {x - \left( {\frac{{ 3 + \sqrt {17} }}{2}} \right)} \right]\left[ {x - \left( {\frac{{ 3 - \sqrt {17} }}{2}} \right)} \right]\)

Just out of curiosity, what process do you go through for factoring that because I never would have seen that.

You can't factor \(\displaystyle \L x^{2} - 3x - 2\) using the standard method. Your two solutions for x will be irrational values

Pka completed the square to find the two irrational roots.

\(\displaystyle \L x^{2} - 3x = 2\)

\(\displaystyle \L x^{2} - 3x +(\frac{1}{2}b)^{2}= 2+(\frac{1}{2}b)^{2}\)

\(\displaystyle \L x^{2} - 3x + \frac{9}{4} = 2 + \frac{9}{4}\)

\(\displaystyle \L (x-\frac{3}{2})^{2} = \frac{17}{4}\)

\(\displaystyle \L x = \frac{3}{2}\) \(\displaystyle \small (+/-)\)\(\displaystyle \sqrt{\frac{17}{4}}\)

axrw said:
Just out of curiosity, what process do you go through for factoring that because I never would have seen that.
One of the most fundamental theorems is mathematics is the factor/root theorem. If \(\displaystyle p(x)\) is a polynomial then \(\displaystyle \alpha\) is a root of \(\displaystyle p(x)\) if and only if \(\displaystyle (x-\alpha)\) is a factor of \(\displaystyle p(x)\).

That is the whole point of my posting.

this problem was meant to have imaginary numbers when you factor it out and im clueless :(

ca.chick said:
this problem was meant to have imaginary numbers when you factor it out and im clueless :(
Well, as the one tutor displayed, the factored form does not involve imaginary numbers. And when you set the quadratic equal to zero and apply the Quadratic Formula, you will confirm this, when you arrive at irrational, but still real, zeroes.

The point of the other tutor was that this quadratic cannot be factored over the rationals. It can certainly be factored, as the above factorization attests.

If your instructor thought that this quadratic had imaginary zeroes, you might want to print out this thread and ask him to correct or confirm the previous tutors' statements. That way, you're not being confrontational; the "quarrel" comes from us, and you're just "confused" and innocently asking a question. :wink:

Eliz.

ca.chick said:

If you're told that something of the form ax^2 + bx + c has two imaginary factors, then check what the expression "b^2 - 4ac" is. If it's negative, it certainly does.