Famous Mathematicians

mathfreak

I wanted to ask, does any of you have favorite mathematician? And why exactly do you like them so much? Because of their contributions or personality or any other reason?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted to ask, does any of you have favorite mathematician? And why exactly do you like them so much? Because of their contributions or personality or any other reason?
I had a professor in graduate school who, when giving a lecture, used to beat his head against the wall sometimes when I asked a question saying, 'You have just destroyed my whole lecture' and then turn around and grin at the class. Later in the semester, he would sometimes say something like 'As Isuda was just going to say this implies ...'

I like Rene Descartes and Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz. I can't choose one over the other as "favorite".

Each of these men made important contributions to a number of fields, including philosophy. They labored for the betterment of humankind.

"To love is to find pleasure in the happiness of others." ~ Leibniz

"If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things." ~ Descartes

I had a professor in graduate school who, when giving a lecture, used to beat his head against the wall sometimes when I asked a question saying, 'You have just destroyed my whole lecture' and then turn around and grin at the class. Later in the semester, he would sometimes say something like 'As Isuda was just going to say this implies ...'
That's exactly how I feel whenever I deal with Denis.