fence

Mr Jomo, I do want to learn why. I have never thought of that before.
The best 'because' that I can afford is because if all linear dimensions are doubled (width and length) then the result has to be doubled as well. Hence ft ^2.
When multiplying width and length,I should add.

Mr Jomo, I do want to learn why. I have never thought of that before.
The best 'because' that I can afford is because if all linear dimensions are doubled (width and length) then the result has to be doubled as well. Hence ft ^2.
What? So when you double 3 you get 3^2.

I take a long ruler and measure the height of my daughter and I find out that she is 21 inches tall.
My wife measure my daughter two weeks before me and marks her height on the wall. She was 19 inches tall then. Then she measure our daughter again right after I measured her (and found her to be 21 inches tall). She marks her new height on the wall and notices that the difference between the two marks is 2 inches. So she concludes that 19 in + 2 in = 21 in^2.

Do you see that the child can not be 21 inches tall and 21 square inches tall.

You will not understand this unless you know what square units are.

You need to start a new thread explaining via a drawing why 3 inches by 4 inches is 12 square inches and not 12 inches. Take me up on this if you really want to learn this.

At some point I was only 2 feet tall. Eventually I doubled my height to 4 ft---NOT 4 ft^2. For the record, I did grow more.

What? So when you double 3 you get 3^2.

I take a long ruler and measure the height of my daughter and I find out that she is 21 inches tall.
My wife measure my daughter two weeks before me and marks her height on the wall. She was 19 inches tall then. Then she measure our daughter again right after I measured her (and found her to be 21 inches tall). She marks her new height on the wall and notices that the difference between the two marks is 2 inches. So she concludes that 19 in + 2 in = 21 in^2.

Do you see that the child can not be 21 inches tall and 21 square inches tall.

You will not understand this unless you know what square units are.

You need to start a new thread explaining via a drawing why 3 inches by 4 inches is 12 square inches and not 12 inches. Take me up on this if you really want to learn this.
Wow, absolutely, my pleasure!!!.

Please watch a video I made up a while ago. Here is the link. The 1st couple of minutes is mandatory for you to watch.

Please watch a video I made up a while ago. Here is the link. The 1st couple of minutes is mandatory for you to watch.
Thanks for the video. At exactly 1 minute into the video, when you are multiplying 3ft times 2 feet you say: 3 feet means... and 2 feet means..... I could not catch that. I did not understand what you said there and I feel it is important to understand the the division of the rectangle that you did after that. Can you tell me what you said there. Thanks.

Thanks for the video. At exactly 1 minute into the video, when you are multiplying 3ft times 2 feet you say: 3 feet means... and 2 feet means..... I could not catch that. I did not understand what you said there and I feel it is important to understand the the division of the rectangle that you did after that. Can you tell me what you said there. Thanks.
Even when i want to know what you say at that point, I totally get it.
in the example that you gave me to do, 3ft * 4 ft , when i divide the area given into 3 divisions by 4 i get 12 sqaures. Each one a foot in length on all sides ( a square) and that is why the nuits are in feet square. 12 sqaure feet in this case.

Attachments

• 2021_01_13_09f_Kleki.png
    2021_01_13_09f_Kleki.png
    73.3 KB · Views: 0
Watch the video again and again until you understand it. I did my best in the video so I don't think that I can do better. Maybe if you explain exactly what you do not understand I can help. It would probably be best if someone else views the video and improves on it via a post.

Basically all I did was divide the length into 4 equal parts and the width into 3 equal parts. Maybe just watch the video a few more times.