FINAL EXAM REVIEW.... I need help!

katymoses

I am in an online math course and need some help.. these are my review problems I do not understand so if someone could please help me with any of them that would be great!!

First one:
Determine whether the equation defines y as a function of x.

6x = 15 - 4y

(I know what a function is... just not positive as to how to get the answer.. please clarify!)

Second one:
Use the given conditions to write an equation for the line in slope-intercept form.

Slope = 3, passing through (2, 7)

How do I find the Y intercept?

Third one:
Evaluate the function at the given value of the independent variable and simplify.

f(x) = x2 + 1; f(x - 2)

Thank you!!! :)

Determine whether the equation defines y as a function of x.

6x = 15 - 4y

Solve the given equation for y; this will give you an expression that defines y in terms of x.

Does this expression give only one output for any given input? If it does, then the given equation defines y as a function (implicitly).

Use the given conditions to write an equation for the line in slope-intercept form.

Slope = 3, passing through (2, 7)

Start by using the Point-Slope formula; look it up, if you don't remember.

After substituting the given information into the formula, solve the equation for y. That result will be the requested Slope-Intercept form.

Evaluate the function at the given value of the independent variable and simplify.

f(x) = x2 + 1; f(x - 2)

In function notation, the dependent variable f(x-2) shows us that the given value of the independent variable is x-2.

To evaluate function f at this value, substitute the expression x-2 for x in the function.

In other words, in the expression x^2 + 1, replace symbol x with x-2, do the squaring, and then simplify.

If you need more help with these, please show your work.

Note: In future posts, please begin a new thread for each exercise. Cheers :cool: